7 Childhood Crafts That Are Still Useful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Remember when your biggest assignment of the year was to create a piece of art that illustrated the hundredth day of school? Weren’t those the days? Childhood was filled with endless amounts of creativity and imagination. Arts and crafts were everything and everywhere. If you use your imagination, you’ll notice that some of what you learned as a kid can be useful now, even as a wonderful collegiate. Here are seven childhood craft skills that you might’ve done that can still be utilized today.

1. Knitting & crocheting 

This is one craft that I personally never learnt but always wish I did. Did you ever watch and learn as your mom or grandma magically turned yards of yarn into sweaters and scarves? Some of my friends picked up the craft when they were younger and it’s self-explanatory why it can be useful a decade later. After all, chunky knit sweaters are one thing that never goes out of style once the weather starts getting chilly.

2. Friendship Bracelets

These friendship bracelets used to be as binding as a wedding ring. Whether or not you’re bold enough to still rock these colorful arm candies around campus, knowing how to make these is still considered a skill. Whether you use only thread or also include colorful beads, if these bracelets aren’t part of your everyday outfits, they at least come in handy when it’s time to hit the music festivals. 

3. Refrigerator & freezer snacks

Wasn’t it great back when we could just pour melted chocolate over anything, stick it in the refrigator/freezer for it to harden, and then call that “cooking”? Well these easy recipes are more than useful for busy college students (aka, us) who don’t have time to ponder around an oven all day. Frozen smores bars are just an example of a great snack while writing your ten-page paper last minute at 3am. 

4. Tie-dye shirts

I guess this isn’t exactly a craft that you’d consider doing all year around but you can turn your old summer camp tie-dye shirt making skills into a trendy crop top or beach cover up. Using scissors and friendship-bracelet-style beads can also really give your work of art a unique twist.

5. Collages 

As somebody who couldn’t draw, paint, mold, etc, whenever I had to come up with a piece of art for a school project, I always gravitated towards collages. This skill is not only useful for projects, but also for room decor! Why go out to Pier 1 Imports for an expensive room accessory when you can use photos and magazines to make a collage that is personal and screams YOU?!

6. Playing dress-up

Let’s admit it, we all did it (yes, boys, you probably did too). At one point in our lives, we’ve all put on our mother’s, father’s, brother’s, or sister’s clothing for a ridiculously embarrassing game of dress-up. As childish as this may seem, this skill can come in real handy during Halloween season when you’re looking at your everyday wardrobe trying to figure out how to throw together a costume. After all, as collegiates on a budget, who really has the time or money to ditch out $100 on an actual costume?

7. Holiday decorations 

My favorite part about the winter season was cutting out a million paper snowflakes and stacking up a chair on my desk in order to tape them to the ceiling (I was half monkey as a child). No matter the holiday, this arts and craft trick is perfect for you gals who are living in dorms. Using this skill and some memories of classroom holiday decorations from elementary school, it’s no doubt that you’ll have one of the most fabulous and spirited doors on your floor!

What crafts and skills did you utilize as a kid that still creeps up in your regular life? Don’t be afraid to get creative and channel your inner child. After all…

Hey everyone! I'm Juls (yes, short for Julie), and I'm a junior biology major with a double minor in chemistry and mathematics at Adelphi University. I'm also a writer and the head of the editorial team for Her Campus Adelphi. I've been running for 6 years and am a (beginner) Bikram yoga junkie, so I guess you can say I'm also a fitness enthusiast. If I'm not out for a run or in the yoga studio, you can catch me volunteering at my local hospital, laughing with my friends while out for coffee, or tuning in for the latest episode of Dancing With the Stars. Feel free to say hi if you see me around; I'm most likely that girl with a pair of sunglasses on top of her head even if it's cloudy outside.