5 (FREE!) Ways to Spread Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

The “Pay It Forward” campaign has become pretty well known over the past few years.  That’s great, because kindness is rad, but a lot of the suggested acts cost money.  As much as we would all love to buy Starbucks for the person behind us in line, pumpkin spice lattes are expensive and we are college students.

But fear not!

Here are five totally free acts of kindness you can do!

1. Say “Good Morning”

You never know how you might change someone’s day for the better with a simple greeting. So tomorrow, when you buy coffee or are passing the custodian on the way out the building, give them a smile and say “Good Morning.”  You never know, it might just brighten your day as well.

2. Give someone a compliment

Do you have a friend that is a really good listener? Maybe you know someone who inspires you. Tell them! It’ll stick with them all day long.

3. Leave sticky-notes on the bathroom mirror with words of affirmation

A perfect one for college bathrooms! Leave a sticky note on the mirror saying, “Have a great day, beautiful!” or “You’ve got this!” It takes so little time to spread a little kindness.

4. Help someone carry his or her things upstairs

Trying to carry groceries up to the third floor of a residence hall without an elevator can be tricky.  So if you see someone struggling, lend them a hand!

5. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

We always talk about the importance of kindness, but being kind to yourself is often overlooked.  College can be a stressful time, but it’s important to remember to take care of you.  Take time to relax; make yourself a priority.

Go forth and be kind, collegiettes!

I'm a sophomore at Adelphi University! Actor and Collegiette