For most, turning 21 is one of the biggest milestones in life. It’s your chance to try all of those fruity drinks with the umbrellas in them that your parents would get on vacation but never let you try. It’s an exciting year for all soon to be 21-year-olds, and we’re here to help you find the perfect drink to have on your 21st—based on your zodiac sign!
Sangria is a summer staple. Cancers typically have the greatest imaginations, so of course a frozen raspberry peach sangria puts a great twist on a typical drink for a unique birthday girl!
Recipe from Joyful Healthy Eating
- 1 bottle of red wine (pinot noir)
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup frozen peaches
- 1 navel orange, peeled
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Juice of 1 lime (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Put all the ingredients in a blender, mix until smooth and serve.
Your bubbly soul will absolutely love these popsicle cocktails! Dip your favorite flavor into champagne and ginger ale for the most refreshing and fun cocktail around.
Recipe from Hostess with the Mostess
- Champagne, white rum, or vodka
- Ginger ale
- To create a light spritzer, combine equal parts champagne and ginger ale.
- For a fruity cocktail, go with three parts ginger ale to one part white rum or vodka.
So, your older friends might roll their eyes at you for this one, but as loyal as Virgos are, it’ll be hard for you to stray away from your freshman favorite…moscato! This strawberry lime moscato punch is the perfect recipe to jazz up old faithful for your first official night out on the town!
Recipe from Real Housemoms
- 1 1/2 liter of Moscato wine
- 1 can frozen limeade concentrate, defrosted
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 lime sliced
- 2 liter 7 Up
- Place 1 cup of diced strawberries and 1/4 cup of limeade in a blender and puree.
- Run through strainer to remove most of the seeds.
- Pour into a pitcher.
- Add remaining limeade and moscato into the pitcher.
- Garnish with strawberry and lime slices.
- Chill in fridge.
- When ready to serve, top each glass with 7 Up.
You’re down for just about anything for your birthday but can’t seem to decide whether you’d rather have a cocktail or a beer. Why not have both? Peach beermosa cocktails give you the best of both worlds without breaking the bank!
Recipe from Growing Up Gabel
- 1/2 cup peach puree
- 1 1/2 cups juice
- 1 12 oz. beer
- Mix the puree, juice and beer together.
- Pour into glass and serve chilled.
The Volstead is an explosive drink, but it won’t make a Scorpio nervous. Its pretty pink color disguises the punch that comes with it. It’s made with champagne and will not disappoint any lady wanting to celebrate.
Recipe from Saveur
- 1/4 oz. simple syrup
- 2 oz. mixed fresh berries
- 3/4 oz. vodka
- 3/4 oz. St. Germain elderflower liqueur
- 1/4 oz. lemon juice
- Champagne, to top
- Muddle the fresh berries and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker.
- Add vodka, St. Germain, lemon juice and ice, shaking.
- Strain into a champagne flute and top gently with champagne, letting the foam subside and topping again until the glass is filled.
A Sagittarius is a total perfectionist, so why not celebrate your new age with the perfect royal blue cocktail? Have you ever seen a prettier drink?
Recipe from Pillsbury
- Lime wedge
- Coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- Ice cubes
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz.) citron vodka or vodka
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz.) blue curaçao
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Moisten rim of chilled martini glass with lime wedge. Sprinkle sugar onto small plate, and dip moistened rim into the sugar to coat lightly.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add cranberry juice, vodka, curaçao and lime juice; cover and shake. Strain into martini glass.
This blue coconut cocktail is everything you could ever want for your 21st. It’s a slushy, and it will transport you out of your winter birthday month and straight into summer! We know Capricorns tend to be responsible, but it is okay to let loose with a fun, frozen drink every once in a while.
Recipe from Jennifer Meyering
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup blue curaçao
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 8 cups of ice
- Coconut flakes, for garnish
- Add all ingredients to blender, and blend on high until desired consistency is reached.
- Dip rim of glass in thin layer of cream of coconut on plate and then dip into coconut flakes.
- Pour cocktail into glass and serve immediately.
We know that on a daily basis you’re super traditional, and there’s nothing wrong with that. For your 21st, however, it’s time for you to change it up! Try these dirty fishbowl drinks, and you’ll feel like the ultimate bartender.
Recipe from Just a Pinch
- 10 oz. vodka
- 10 oz. coconut rum
- 6 oz. blue curaçao liqueur
- 12 oz. sweet-and-sour mix
- 20 oz. pineapple juice
- 32 oz. lemon-lime soda
- Blue food coloring, if desired
- 3 small fishbowls (each holding 4-5 cups volume)
- 1 box (6 oz.) Nerds candy
- 12-16 Swedish fish candies
- Fruit slices (3 each of lime, lemon and orange)
- 9 drinking straws
- Mix ingredients in large pitcher.
- Pour into three separate fishbowls and chill.
Your artsy flair won’t go away on your birthday. Embrace it with this colorful magic cotton candy martini!
Recipe from Style Me Pretty
- 4 cups cotton candy
- 4 cups grape juice
- 6 oz. vanilla vodka
- Combine juice and vodka with ice in a shaker. Shake to combine.
- Place 1 cup cotton candy into each martini glass.
- Pour juice mixture over cotton candy.
Aries are total sweethearts and deserve to have an equally sweet drink! Why not break out some of your favorite candies and make this Haribo Miami Fizz cocktail?
Recipe by Tipsy Bartender
- 1 oz. (30 ml) simple syrup
- 1/2 oz. (15 ml) blue curaçao
- 1/2 oz. (15 ml) melon liquor
- 1 oz. (30 ml) Sprite lemon soda
- 1 oz. (30 ml) tropical fruit juice
- Splash of triple sec
- 1/2 oz. (15 ml) gold rum
- 1 oz. (30 ml) strawberry liquor
- Haribo Miami Fizz candy
- Choose exact cups you want to use. (These drinks have to be poured in the cups you’ll drink them from).
- Layer each layer slowly.
- Refrigerate before drinking.
As the mom of your friend group, you typically don’t get too adventurous with your drink choices, since you know you’ll probably be the one walking someone home. Lucky for you, today is all about you, and it’s time you get a bit adventurous. The blue devil is everything you need to kick back and enjoy your special day!
Recipe from Flour On My Face
- Lime juice
- Confectioner’s sugar
- 1 oz. light Bacardi rum
- 1/2 oz. blue curaçao
- 1 oz. orange juice
- Rim a cocktail glass with the lime juice and confectioner’s sugar.
- In a shaker filled with ice, add the rum, curaçao and orange juice.
- Shake until well chilled.
- Pour into a cocktail glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
So you’ve been dying to try something original for your 21st but don’t know what to do. This tiramisu martini is exactly how you can switch it up. Chocolate drinks? Yes, please!
Recipe from The Cookie Rookie
- 1 1/2 oz. Kahlua (half of a shot glass)
- 1 1/2 oz. RumChata
- 1 1/2 oz. Godiva Chocolate liquor
- 1 1/2 oz. heavy cream
- Whipped cream, chocolate shavings, ground coffee or cocoa, and lady fingers for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake to combine.
- Pour into two martini glasses.
- Top with freshly whipped cream, chocolate shavings, ground coffee or cocoa, and lady fingers. All are optional!
Happy birthday, collegiettes! And, as always, please drink responsibly.