Decorating your dorm or apartment can be such an expensive task. As much as we love decorating our living spaces with adorable pillows, most of us can’t afford to snag all of the cute ones we find in stores thanks to their price tags. But don’t worry! We’re going to show you how to make your own decorative pillows on a budget instead.
Whether it’s your first semester in college or the beginning of your senior year, these DIY decorative pillows are sure to make a statement and save you a ton of cash! Oh, and did we mention that this project requires no sewing whatsoever? You’re welcome.
What You’ll Need
- Two different fabrics of your choice (one yard of each)
- An iron
- A 16 once bag of premium polyester fiber fill
- Heat and Bond Iron-On Adhesive (5/8 inches)
Prepping Your Pillow
- Start by placing one of the two fabrics on a solid and stable surface.
- With the fabric folded “hamburger style,” cut in half. You should be left with four 12-inch pieces.
- Unfold each piece, then cut in half again.
Did you notice that we didn’t use a tape measure or ruler? Don’t worry, estimating works just fine for this no-sew DIY project.
These four pieces will be the front and back of the pillow. We’ll be making two of them.
- Place solid strips of the Heat and Bond tape under folded or ironed creases on all four sides for each of the four pieces.
- Using a hot iron, iron all four sides down until they are secure.
- Again, place solid strips of Heat and Bond tape on top of three of the previously glued sides. (You’ll want to leave one side open so you can fill the pillow with the polyester fiber).
- Once you’ve done that, carefully line up your two pieces of fabric atop of one another, making one solid piece. Iron the two together.
By this point, you should have two empty pillow cases!
- Fill each one with premium polyester fiber fill. Use half of the bag (so, eight ounces) for each pillow.
- Afer you’ve filled the pillows, seal the open end with the remaining Heat and Bond tape.
There you have it! With just a few simple steps and some inexpensive materials, you can make your own adorable no-sew decorative pillow to brighten up your dorm room or apartment.
Happy crafting, collegiettes!