Always dreamed of starting your own magazine? Apply to be President/Editor-In-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at your school!
As President/Editor-In-Chief, you are responsible for building a staff, producing weekly content, and publicizing your chapter on campus - running your own online magazine that is a part of Her Campus's national network.
The position is remote and unpaid but offers a unique opportunity to be a part of the next big thing in online media and publish your work on a national stage! Since joining the Her Campus Team, HC writers have been offered jobs and internships at Glamour, Vogue, Vanity Fair, Seventeen, Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar, People magazine, W magazine, Teen Vogue, InStyle, Lucky, O magazine, MTV, The Washington Post, and Women’s Wear Daily, among others.
What’s a “My Campus” chapter?
A My Campus chapter is a section on HerCampus.com devoted to your school, with the following seven features: News, Photo Blog, Campus Celebrities, Events, Polls, Campus Cuties, Blog—so that readers from your school can have an individualized experience on HerCampus.com.
What are the responsibilities of a President/Editor-In-Chief?
- Editorial: Create new content for each of the seven features and upload it to the site on a weekly basis (no prior web experience required).
- Publicity: Publicize HerCampus.com and your “My Campus” chapter on your campus.
- Team: Build a staff at your school to work under you to grow your chapter.
- Marketing: Work with HC National on large-scale client marketing programs (case-by-case basis)
What qualities do you look for in applicants?
- Demonstrated interested in journalism, publishing, entrepreneurship, and/or marketing
- Leadership skills
- Clear communication
- Responsiveness via email
- Flawless writing and editing skills
- Attention to detail
Cool! How do I apply?
You can fill out the application form here with the documents below. Please save each document as PDF file. Applicants are welcome to apply either as an individual founder or in a team of 2 co-founders. Applications are currently being accepted for Fall 2013.
The application asks for the following:
- Cover letter (joint cover letter for co-applicants)
- Resume (individual resumes required): emphasize experience in journalism, online media, marketing/public relations/event planning, entrepreneurship, or general leadership experience
- Writing sample (individual samples required): Preferred samples include a press release or an article for a newspaper, magazine, or blog. Choose a writing sample that demonstrates your ability to write professionally with clarity and coherence. The subject matter may be similar to the content found on HerCampus.com, but it may also be anything about which you feel passionate. If you do not have a press release or article, you may submit a creative writing piece (prose only) or an academic paper.
- 3 on-campus publicity ideas (3 joint ideas for co-applicants).
- A minimum of 5 students on campus interested in joining your team
This position is unpaid, but internship credit is available.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Rolling