Why Lady Gaga’s Stomach Doesn’t Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

One of the biggest sporting events of the year: The Super Bowl

A time where everyone who has ever watched a lick of football, no matter how experienced, watches teams play for the ultimate title, while mindlessly judging the commercials in between each play.

Another thing to always watch for during this event is the halftime show, often performed by a popular artist, such as Beyonce, Bruno Mars, U2, and more from years past.

This year, it was Gaga’s turn, and she did not disappoint.

She starts with saluting America by reciting The Pledge of Allegiance, and then ‘jumping’ from the top of the stadium to the platform in which her performance began. She sang, danced, and performed live, and it was clearly shown through the passion in her voice and the way she sang that she meant business.

Half way through the 13-minute performance, Lady Gaga quick-changed from a shimmering leotard to an equally dazzling two-piece set. She continued to rock the stage as if she owned it. However, some don’t believe she was as hot as others made her out to be.

Many commented on social media about her “stomach” hanging out from the edge of her bottoms. That “stomach” that they are focusing on is merely a completely normal amount of skin peeking over the top of her bottoms AS SHE IS BENDING OVER DURING HER DANCE.

Many also have commented saying how she should not be performing unless she is 100% fit and does not have a stomach.

Well you know what? It is absolutely impossible for anyone to bend over and have that bit of skin fold over the edge. Even the thinnest of people have that piece of skin, because it is part of our anatomy. She still had the guts to perform LIVE (and not lip-sync like other performers), give a kick-ass halftime show, WHILE baring her midriff, which is something that not many people are comfortable with doing.

Luckily, Gaga ignored the haters, sharing her confidence with the world was good enough. She was the perfect advocate to perform during this time of division within our country, so it doesn’t matter what anyone looks like. Just have the confidence to be you, because ‘’you were born this way”!

Stephanie is a Senior Professional Writing major at York College of Pennsylvania. She is a York College cheerleader; so she also likes big bows, and she can not lie.