This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Halloween is a time for candy, costumes and corny movies! From hysterical comedies to some creepy horror flicks, here is a list of the top ten movies and series that you should watch this season!

10.  Halloween Series (Except for the third one)- The Halloween films are great to watch when you are with a couple of friends chilling in your dorm room. Basically, we see all of Jamie Lee Curtis’ haircuts while she is running from a man (Mike Myers) with the SAME cook knife trying to kill her. But she won’t quit, she fights back (#girlpower)! One thing I do advise is that you DO NOT WATCH THE THIRD MOVIE. It gives a terrible version of what a horror movie should look like. (Spoiler Alert: The killer is not even in the movie). Also, check out the remakes. Rob Zombie did a pretty gory job with them.

9. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984 & 2010) – First off, I just want to say that the movie posters are the reason I watched both of them. Wes Craven’s A Nightmare on Elm Street has many spin offs, but the first one and the remake are by far the best. The movie is about Freddy Krueger, who is infamous for his blades for fingers, black hat and the crappy red and green sweater. He comes into the dreams of his victims and kills them. I recommend that you should watch the original before the remake. You get to see a young Johnny Depp looking super cute (and in the remake, a hot Kellan Lutz).

8. Saw Series – Number one rule in horror films: Never mess with a puppet. This film series is based on the lives of many different people who are kidnapped, tortured, and are trying to figure out the answers to the puppet’s (named Jigsaw) questions. In most of the films, Jigaw’s victims either end up dead or brutally wounded and dragging themselves through the exit door. These movies have become somewhat legendary for being known as some of the craziest horror films out there. However, they are a bit long; there are seven, two-hour movies in total. If you want to watch the full story line, watch them in order. But my personal rank would be, Saw II, Saw I, Saw VI, Saw III, Saw V, Saw IV, Saw: The Final Chapter.

7. Scary Movie Series– Need a good laugh this Halloween? The Scary Movie films are the best movies to put on this season. They compile all the typical horror movie stereotypes into one, hilarious comedy. The first one is my personal favorite to watch with a couple of friends and a big bag of candy.

6. Hocus Pocus– The cutest movie that everyone needs to watch! 300 years have passed since the Sanderson sisters were executed for practicing dark magic. But after Max lights a special candle that brings them back from the dead, they return and are ready to steal the lives of the children. Although it might sound a bit creepy, it is a Disney movie, not a thriller. If you have not seen it, you MUST DO IT. Definitely a crowd pleaser.

5. Paranormal Activity Series– Yes I know. You are probably thinking these movies suck! But think about this: This popular franchise has swept the nation for the past couple of years. While it did get a bit silly with the fifth one “borrowing” the Deathly Hallows symbol from Harry Potter, no matter what, I still watch it and jump at every little thing.

4. Beetlejuice-Say Beetlejuice three times and a guy in a striped suit with wacky green hair appears. Beetlejuice is a fun film where a newly deceased couple wants to remove the family that just moved into their house. They seek the help of a trouble-making ghost to scare them away. It all goes down-hill from there.

3. Insidious– Tip toeeee through the windowwww! If you do not understand this reference then check out this terrible and creepy movie about a family that encounters some odd spirits after the son of the family discovers he has the power to travel around the dream world. Yes, you can say it. No matter which order you watch these films in, they will both freak you out and disappoint you so much. Still, it’s definitely worth watching. 

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas– This lovable movie combines the thrills and chills of Halloween with the magic of Christmas. Jack, the pumpkin king, in the town of Halloween Town, discovers a world completely different from his when he is transported to Christmas Town. Though the title may be deceiving, this is a fantastic Halloween movie that is definitely a must see!

1. Halloweentown– Marnie is a young girl in love with and fascinated by Halloween, despite what her mother has to say about it. In these four fantastic films we are taken on a wild, outrageous ride. It isn’t on Netflix or Hulu this season, but on October 24, 2014 at 2pm it will be on Disney Channel. It is one of those movies that gets you into the spirit of Halloween! Enjoy it!