diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Halloween is knocking on your door, but are you ready for it? Pumpkins are a large part of the spooky holiday and let’s face it some of us like to do things at the last minute. If you have a pumpkin and don’t know what to do with it or you forgot to carve it, here is a simple guide on how to carve a pumpkin.

Tools you will need:

Serrated Knife

Pumpkin Carving Kit (if you were prepared)

Washable Marker

Mixing Bowl

Garbage Bag

Paper Towels

Support animal for when you mess up.

If you don’t know what to carve, first browse the Internet for ideas. Print out a picture or keep an image on your phone. Start with something you’re interested in then work your way from there. If you want to freehand it that’s okay too.

Lay down the garbage bag then place the pumpkin on top. Now, you get to practice your surgical skills by cutting a lid for your pumpkin. Serrated knives are good for chopping off the top of the pumpkin, but do not cut a straight circle for the lid. Make sure you cut at a 45-degree angle, which will keep the lid from sinking into the pumpkin. Also, make sure the hole is big enough to fit your hand in. Guided lines are helpful, but you’re probably facing a time crunch and need to get it done now.

Scoop out the pumpkin guts and place them in the bowl. It keeps the mess to a minimum and cleanup is easy. If you have an oven or toaster you can cook them up for some tasty pumpkin seed snacks for later, but if you don’t, you can just throw them out. Next, sketch out your pumpkin design on the body of the pumpkin. If you mess up, grab a wet paper towel and wipe off the marker, dry the pumpkin, then start again.

Now here comes the tricky part. Actually, carving the pumpkin. If you’re in a time crunch then you can speed through this part and just freehand it by carving out your own creation. Don’t worry if it turns out crappy because we’re still in the novice stage. With time and practice, you can carve a Michelangelo’s masterpiece.

Once you’re finished, you can then put a candle in the pumpkin, but if you’re in your dorm don’t do it. You don’t want to set off the fire alarm and ruin everyone else’s Halloween.

Marisa is a Senior at York College of Pennsylvania majoring in Professional Writing. She loves to read and play video games. She is overjoyed to share her experiences with Her Campus.
A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!