New Snacks For The New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

In the new year many things change. We start new classes, set new goals and try new activities.  Yet, despite all the change the steady crave for snacks remains strong. I have always tried to resist snacking in between meals since a few chips can easily turn into the whole bag if I’m not careful. However, it’s actually important to snack to refuel your body and brain.

It’s easy to get caught up in the healthy mindset that seems to dominate everyone’s life each new year especially as workout clothes, protein powder and bikinis seem to cover every magazine. So here are five healthy, filling and more importantly TASTY snacks that might be able to help with your snacking crave in the new year.

1. SkinnyPop- Popcorn might sound like a boring or overused this snack, but you have to try this popcorn before you judge it. I got it last fall just to try for the new semester and I am obsessed. It is only 35 calories per serving which is about a cup ad a half. It has tons of different flavors but I personally love the original!

1. Larabars- These are organic protein bars that I actually first heard about from a nutritionist that talked to my cross country team. They are gluten free and have very few ingredients and added sugars. The main ingredient of every bar is actually dates! There are tons of different flavor options which should be able to satisfy your unique taste. My favorites are cashew cookie and coconut cream pie, but chocolate chip cookie dough is another popular one!

1. Yogurt covered Raisins- This snack may be more of an acquired taste for picky eaters. However, it’s the perfect snack for sweet tooths! It’s sweet yet is not high in calories! If you are not into raisins, a good alternative might be yogurt covered pretzels.

1. BabyBel Cheese- Cheese is probably one of my all time favorite foods. I always find it hard to believe when people say they do not like cheese because they are just so many kinds. I love eating the BabyBel cheese because they the perfect portion and you can easily eat them alone. Of course you can also eat them with crackers if that works better for you.

1. Fruit- Ok so this snack is not so new but it never really gets old. I think fruit is a great snack because its refreshing and sweet and can be satisfying if eaten right. I personally like eating apples with peanut butter or almond butter or frozen grapes as a snack! However, just to note choosing peanut butter its good to choose an organic version because it has less added ingredients and more natural oils (I promise it tastes just as good).

Hope you found a new snack that fits your taste, Happy Snacking Everyone!!!