The Fault in Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and with it comes the usual mixed emotions. Couples struggle to find the perfect gift for each other that isn’t completely cliché or overdone; singles still hold onto the hope that their crush will profess their love moments before V-day so they don’t have to spend it alone; and most wish it’d just pass already so they can stop feeling animosity towards the constant reference towards happy couples.

Personally I fit none of these. I just think Valentine’s Day really should not be a holiday to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely have many fond memories of the good ole elementary school days when we got to give out valentines and receive tons of candy from classmates. However, the fact is that the real meaning of Valentine’s Day, like most holidays, has been concealed behind the flow of advertisements and pop culture.

Sometimes I think it is a holiday literally designed by Hallmark as a way to get people to buy more cards, chocolate and flowers. It has come to the point where these things are expected rather than truly cherished. Why should there be only one-day celebrating love? Whether it’s love for your family, friends or significant other, it should be an everyday occurrence, not simple an act a single day a year. In the long run gifts are meaningless, it’s the small, everyday acts of love and kindness that will make a difference. Actions speak louder than words, and tend to be remembered the most.

So, whatever your situation on this year’s Valentine’s Day, try to think of the true meaning behind the holiday: to get discount candy the day after. Kidding! Except I am so not kidding you all should totally do that (take that Hallmark ☺). But, what I really mean of course is to try to focus less on the gifts and pressure to show your love in grand gestures and more on each other. People are what really matter!

Happy Valentine’s Day! Xoxo