Yale Students Bring their Passion for New Haven Dining to Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Yale students have recently combined their passion for food and photography into various instagram accounts dedicated to not only advertising various restaurants in the New Haven area, but prompting other Yalies, friends, and family to taste new dishes and explore their taste palate.

Here are just some Yalie’s blogs to explore:

Chew Haven

Contributors: Annie Mullen, Carolina Trombetta, and Lauren Miller

“We started the blog a couple of years ago while Annie and I were at dinner at Basta,” explains co-founder Lauren Miller, “we decided right then and there that Basta’s meatballs were the best meatballs in New Haven — and we thought everyone should know it. We spent the rest of that dinner thinking of the “best” of everything New Haven has to offer, from grilled cheese to cheap late night food to Parent’s Weekend spots. Annie, Carolina, and I have so much fun getting to taste a huge variety of food while also getting to meet local business owners and hear their stories.”

Chew Haven (Photo from Heirloom)

2stephs1kitchen

Contributors: Stephanie Dowling and Stephanie Tomasson

These two girls—with their witty instagram name— explore the various tastes of new haven ranging from the new Orangeside Donut truck to the savory brunches at heirloom. Their photos expose some of each restaurant’s most famous dishes whilst accentuating the art of each restaurant’s dish presentation.

Treat_yo_selfff

Contributors: Maggie Morse

Treat_yo_selfff not only gives viewers a taste of New Haven but also from Yale summer abroad programs and more. “One photo of mine taken on Yale’s Croatia summer abroad program made it onto New_Fork_City!” said creator Maggie Morse, CC ’17. This is quite the accomplishment given that New_Fork_City has a following of 72,000 people. 

Cityeaters

Contributors: Miranda McKay, Delaney Herndon, Olivia McKay, Kristin Mendez, Annie Hills, Christina Halcovich, and Charlotte Ferenbach

With their slogan “getting priorities straight one meal at a time,” these girls’ Instagram represents a large spectrum of New Haven dining. “With the emergence of foodstagrams right of left, we wanted to do something with the abundance of pictures of good food we had,” said founder Miranda McKay, Morse ’17, “we’re almost at 100 followers!”