Yale Campus Cutie: Nick McNiff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Name: Nick McNiff

Year: ‘17

College: Morse

Major: Mathematics and Philosophy

Hometown: Plymouth Meeting, PA

Nick McNiff is a member of Yale’s golf team, as well as a valued brother of the Sigma Nu Fraternity. Some of you may know him as John McNiff’s younger brother (’15, also a cutie), however my interview with Nick reveals he has a personality all of his known. Read on for more on this week’s cutie!

How would your teammates describe you?

Hardworking, lots of fun, and always on the putting green!

What is your favorite thing about Yale?

The people, the classes, the way the scaffolding on Payne Whitney catches the soft rays of the setting sun, and the incredibly diverse social scene here.

What’s your most embarrassing moment at Yale?  

Probably the time I caught my crush’s eye walking to class… then tripped and fell headfirst into a dumpster!!

If you were to take a girl on a date where would you bring her?

My house, so she could meet my dog Bear.

What’s your favorite place on campus?

18th hole of the Yale golf course at sunrise.

Favorite movie quote?

“You better hold on tight, spider-monkey.”—Edward Cullin, Twilight

What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done?

Last year I sent Victoria Shepherd an email asking her if she wanted to get a burrito (or a subway sandwich) with me some time. She didn’t respond, but I’m still not convinced she ever saw it.

Any guilty pleasures?

Rom Coms, Weightlifting, and chocolate! Just can’t get enough chocolate.

Where can we find you on a Saturday night?

Hangin’ around with my buddies down by the old reservoir, or backstage in the Toads hot tub.

What class have you most enjoyed at Yale?

My favorite class was a seminar I took last year called Violence: Causes and Cures with Dr. Bandy Lee. The class was an interdisciplinary look at what makes people commit acts of violence, how these acts affect the victims and perpetrators, and what strategies can most effectively prevent future acts of violence. Bandy really changed the way I look at violent crime, and I’d recommend her class to everyone, not just people interested in public health or criminal justice. 

What’s something about yourself that people at Yale wouldn’t know?

I have beautiful eyes once you get to know me!

Do you have any advice for girls at Yale?

Stop being so pretty and talk to me more!

What’s your best Yale memory so far?

It’s kind of a long story, but I’ll try to make it quick.  I was doing community service cleaning up at a local performing arts school (because I had gotten in trouble for vandalizing the school with my friends) when I noticed that one of the dancers lost her partner to an ankle injury before her spring show.  She saw me dancing outside in the parking lot one day with my friends Mac and Skinny, so when she tried out new people for the rehearsal spot she gave me a chance too.  She ended up picking me, and though I was a little unreliable at times, we ended up combining her ballet style with my Hip-Hop dance moves to create an incredible routine.  We started dating, but had a falling out after her old dance partner came back wanting to replace me.  She ended up having to scrap our routine and just do the show on her own, but right before it started I stepped up and begged her to do the old one with me, the way we’d planned it.  We did it together, and it was a huge hit! She got signed to a professional dance company, and I ended up transferring in to the music school. 

Yale girls are best because…

they’re smart AND pretty!