Style at Home: Easy, Smart Decorating Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.
As college students, we don’t want to spend a ton of time or money assembling and cleaning our temporary rooms. Below you will find a few tips on how to decorate in a chic but smart way.

Cover large areas with simple statement pieces. This hanging flag garland is an easy do-it-yourself project that is fun, transportable, and affordable.

Add personality and a pop of geometry or a pattern that pulls together your room’s look by choosing an area rug. Grey is a smart color choice because it goes with everything and does not show spills or dirt as easily as white or colored rugs might.

Include decorative touches on bedside tables or your desk with simple candles, flowers, and picture frames. Not only can you use these in the future, but also by sticking to a few personal touches, cleaning is made easier and there is room to leave a book or two if need be.

Can’t hang picture frames or mirrors? No problem. Buy some lightweight cardstock frames from any art supply store and use gum-stick adhesive for an easy removal. Rest your mirror or frames against a wall or backboard for a relaxed and polished look.