Non-profit Organizations in the Cincinnati Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

If you have a passion of giving back to the community and getting to know some great new people, then maybe getting involved in a non-profit organization is something that would interest you! Getting involved with these organizations can even lead to a potential career path as well. And not only are there potential careers that could come out of joining one, but you get to give back to the community and help those in needd.

Here are some (but definitely not all) of the  non-profit organizations located in the Cincinnati area.  Check them out below for an idea of what’s out there and what you can get involved in!

1) Dragonfly Foundation

• Mission – “The Dragonfly Foundation provides comfort and joy to kids and young adults enduring cancer and bone marrow transplants (BMT). In addition, we enhance the in-patient experience at the partner hospitals we serve.”
  • Geographic Areas Served In – The foundation has been serving the Greater Cincinnati Area since 2010, and has also given support to Chicago.
  • Programs – They have programs such as Emotional Health and Awareness Support Programs, Social Events, Gifts for the Patients, Parents, and Hospital, as well as having Community Connections. You can read more about the specific programs on their website.
  • Who They Help –  Kids and young adults, along with their families and caregivers, who are going through a cancer diagnoses and bone marrow transplants. On average, they help more than 800 patients per year, along with their families.
  • Website – www.dragonfly.org

Source

2) Save Cats and Obliterate OverPopulation, Inc

• Mission – “SCOOP is dedicated to reducing suffering and overpopulation among cats through non-lethal methods.
  • Geographic Areas Served – Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Programs – Prevent A Litter (PAL) – Provides spay and neuter vouchers to any community member with any income who helps with a stray or feral cat. They also have a Sick and Injured Cat (SIC) program, in which helps any community member with any income that helps with a stray or feral cat.
  • Who They Help – This organization helps with the stray and feral cats in the Cincinnati area, along with the community. They have provided over 1500 vouchers to the community since 2007.
  • Website – www.scoopcat.org

Source

3)    New Life Furniture

• Mission – “To deliver a missing piece to end the cycle of homelessness.”
  • Geographic Areas Served – Clermont County, Hamilton County, Butler County and parts of Campbell County.
  • Programs – They collect gently used furniture and also deliver it to families and individuals in need.
  • Who They Help – In 2014, this organization had served 1145 people with 7094 pieces of furniture. They help people of many backgrounds, like those who have overcome homelessness, catastrophes such as fires, floods, tornados, etc, and also those who have had to leave an abusive home or individuals.
  • Website – www.nlfurniture.org

Source

4)    Matthew 25 Ministries

• Mission – “The mission of Matthew 25: Ministries is to fulfill Matthew 25:34-40 by providing nutritional food to the hungry, clean water to the thirsty, clothing to the naked, shelter to the homeless, medical care to the ill, and humanitarian supplies to prisoners. “As you did it to the least of these my brothers and sisters, you did it to me” (Matthew 25:40).”
  • Geographic Areas Served – Greater Cincinnati area, throughout the United States, and around the world.
  • Programs – Humanitarian Relief provides more than 11 million people each year by supplying more than 10 million pounds of aid such as food, medical supplies, and other products.
  • Who They Help – They help with disaster relief across the country and around world, as well with hunger relief, etc.
  • Website – www.m25m.org

Source

Go forth and set the world on fire, Xavier! 

Mary Soukup is a Sophomore Engineering Physics Major at Xavier University from Aurora, Indiana. When she is not writing articles for Her Campus, she can be found studying or working at the Cincincinnati Zoo.