My Experience at the Cincinnati Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

This is a political opinion piece. 

My friend and I decided very last-minute to go to the Cincinnati Women’s March, but we just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be a part of history– to be a part of something bigger than ourselves. I didn’t have a sign, or a “pussyhat,” so I decided to wear suffragette white underneath my jacket. We were anxious to head down to Washington Park and attend the rally before the march that would walk past City Hall. We got an uber from our Residence Hall and embarked on what would be an incredibly rewarding journey.

First of all, I have to give a shout-out to our Uber driver, Marcus. I’m certain that he was the greatest Uber driver I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. As we stepped into his car, he confirmed with us that we were heading to Washington Park. “You guys are going to the march? Right on!” Marcus went on to give us his support for women like us who were standing up for what we believe in. He told us about his own political philosophy, that Hillary Clinton didn’t win because “they were afraid that a woman could do the job better than they could!” I couldn’t help but agree with Marcus, that sexism was deeply rooted in our political system. We talked about school and the importance of getting a college degree. We talked about Louisville, my hometown. Marcus told us about his work with middle school students to get them to love learning so they would pursue their high school degrees and go off to college. In a world that seems more bleak than sympathetic, I left that Uber ride feeling hopeful that people like Marcus, with seemingly boundless positive energy, exist in the world.

My five-star Uber ride was just the beginning of the memorable day ahead. Floods of people were arriving at the park and surrounding the Gazebo where the rally would begin. Marchers toted signs announcing their most deeply-held beliefs, as others admired their wit and enthusiasm for the cause. There were college students, parents with children, grandparents with grandchildren, and men and women of every identity. There were people there to support women’s rights, to support  LGBTQIA rights, to support climate science, to support people with disabilities, and to support the poor and marginalized. Most importantly, there were so many people with love in their heart to support their fellow human beings.

One supporter I spoke to explained that she was worried about the consequences of eliminating the Affordable Care Act. Another said that she wanted to protect women’s reproductive rights. A volunteer who helped coordinate the rally and march said that she stood for all the people who feel excluded, and she refused to let others be treated with anything less than dignity. She felt like it was time to rally and show that we will not be silent, and that we would stand taller together.

After the inspiring rally, we were “fired up and ready to go!” The thousands of us took to the streets to march, chant, and stand in solidarity. At the same time, other Sister Marches were being held nation-wide, and message of the Women’s Marches permeated throughout the world. Hundreds of Women’s Marches were held in cities around the globe, on all seven continents, and millions of people took part. If the sheer number of participants doesn’t reflect the importance of issues of equality, then I don’t know what does.

Since posting my pictures from the march on social media, I’ve received a lot of love and support for taking part in such an unprecedented event. However, I’ve also seen a lot of comments and posts condemning protesters, calling out supporters as “feminazis,” and saying that we should just get over it and accept the election results. After addressing my frustrations with these negative responses, I’ve come to a peaceful conclusion about the beauty of protesting. My current feeling is best expressed in a Facebook post from my favorite activist and politician, Sen. Cory Booker.

“When they criticize you, love them for teaching you humility.

When they heap scorn upon you, love them for helping you discover your resiliency.

When they doubt you, love them for giving your dreams greater courage.

When they point out your faults, love them for their accuracy.

When they wound you, love them for showing you your capacity to forgive.

When they try to stop you, love them for making your resolve even stronger.

When they cast you into darkness, love them for helping you discover your inextinguishable light.

And when you stand victorious, when your love has conquered the impossible challenge, invite them to stand with you so they too can see love’s power.”

I march because I’m a feminist, meaning that I believe every person deserves equal rights no matter their gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ability, or socioeconomic status. I march to promote and defend the rights of every person, including those who criticize my actions. Your words won’t keep me from marching, because I’m marching for your rights, too.

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.