Don’t Sleep on These Underrated Disney Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

When people hear Disney they think of the classics: Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and Sleeping Beauty. If not the classics, then everyone’s favourites come to mind like Mulan, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and Lion King. While these never fail in a movie marathon, there are many more in Disney’s vault that don’t get the same attention. Don’t sleep on these movies, they’re worth a watch (or two)!

1. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a 2001 American animated film created by Walt Disney Feature Animation—the first science fiction film in the Animated Canon and the 41st overall. Set in 1914, the film tells the story of a young man who gains possession of a sacred book, which he believes will guide him and a crew of adventurers to the lost city of Atlantis.”

2. Big Hero 6

“When a devastating event befalls the city of San Fransokyo and catapults Hiro into the midst of danger, he turns to Baymax and his close friends adrenaline junkie Go Go Tomago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred. Determined to uncover the mystery, Hiro transforms his friends into a band of high-tech heroes called “Big Hero 6.”

3. Brave

“Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse.”

4. Brother Bear

“When a young Inuit hunter needlessly kills a bear, he is magically changed into a bear himself as punishment with a talkative cub being his only guide to changing back.”

5. Ratatouille

“A rat who can cook makes an unusual alliance with a young kitchen worker at a famous restaurant.”

6. The Princess Frog

“A waitress, desperate to fulfill her dreams as a restaurant owner, is set on a journey to turn a frog prince back into a human being, but she has to face the same problem after she kisses him.”

7. Treasure Planet

“Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island gets a futuristic twist in this amazing tale of a brave young man’s thrilling journey to new frontiers aboard a flying ship.”

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.