Best Horror Movies to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Thinking of doing a horror movie marathon with friends, but don’t know what to watch? Here are a few favorite horror movies one could watch.

The Exorcist

The Exorcist is one of the most classic horror movies. It’s about a priest that tries to exorcise a demon from a little girl. This is a classic horror movie because there are plenty of jump scares and some people fear it could happen in real life; like it probably could.

Child’s Play

Child’s Play is the first movie of the Chucky franchise. The story is about a serial killer’s soul that gets put into a doll. This movie is a good watch because it blends comedy with horror effortlessly.

Get Out

Get Out is arguably one of the best psychological horror movies of 2017. The movie is about a man that visits his girlfriend’s family. But during the visit he uncovers a dark secret; the movie has a surprise twist (but I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it yet).

Psycho

Psycho is inspired by the serial killer Ed Gein and it’s considered one of the earliest slasher films. The movie is about a secretary that comes to Bates Motel and meets the owner Norman Bates. Of course the Psycho has one of most classic moments in film history, the shower scene.

Scream

Scream is about a serial killer called Ghost Face who targets a teenage girl and her friends. The movie is unique because the characters in the movie are aware of horror movie cliques, so in many ways, the movie is a satire.

Cinderella

Cinderella is definitely a horror movie, do not let the name fool you. It’s about a daughter trying to figure out why her friends commit suicide in front of her after her mother gives them plastic surgery. By the end of the movie she finds a terrifying secret hidden in her basement (again, I won’t spoil anything for those who haven’t watched it). This movie is on this list because there are so many twists.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of the most classic movies in the horror movie genre. It’s about a serial killer who visits people in their dreams to kill them. This movie has so much acclaim because it took a different spin on horror movies because it attacked people in their dreams, which makes it difficult because we all sleep.

It Follows

It Follows is a psychological horror film. The movie is about a girl getting followed by a strange entity after a sexual encounter. This movie is special because we never figure out what the entity actually is.

Carrie

Carrie is a movie based on the book Carrie. The movie is about a bullied high school girl with supernatural powers. This movie stands out because even though the movie is gory, there is a psychological aspect to it.

The Conjuring

The Conjuring is a paranormal movie inspired by the Amityville Horror. The movie is about two paranormal investigators who are investigating a haunted house for a family living in Rhode Island.

The Shining

The Shining is based on a novel by Stephen King. The movie is about a man who accepts a job as the caretaker of a hotel and moves his family there. In the hotel, many supernatural entities in the hotel tortures the family.  This movie is iconic because it doesn’t focus too much on blood and gore but more on psychological thriller.

It

It is a supernatural horror movie about a shape shifter being that has the ability to transform into people’s nightmares. This makes the whole movie even more interesting.

The Birds

The Birds is about a town in California getting attacked by what seems to be regular birds. What makes The Birds interesting is that the birds that are attacking are unexplained and no matter where the characters try to hide, the birds always find them. The movie is suspenseful and scary without any gore.

Hush

Hush is about a deaf writer that lives in the woods and defends herself against a serial killer. What makes this movie different is that the killer reveals himself early in the episode, which makes the movie even scarier. Also, the fact that there is a deaf character in the movie, and who is able to defend herself without her hearing.

Halloween

Halloween is arguably one of the most classic horror movies of all time. The movie is about a man escaping from a mental hospital and returns to his hometown to kill again. This movie is a favorite by many because there’s plenty of blood and gore (if you’re into that stuff).

Don’t Breathe

Don’t Breathe is a movie that will keep you on your toes. The movie is about three criminals who get trapped by breaking into a blind man’s house. There is not much gore in this movie, but there are plenty of jump scares and twists.

The Ring

The Ring is a supernatural horror film. The movie is about people dying after seven days after watching a cursed video. This movie stands out because it doesn’t focus on horror movie cliques.

Saw

Saw is a 2000’s thriller and horror film. The movie is about strangers walking up into a room and finding out they’re forced to play a deadly game to survive. Saw stands out because it’s a low budget film and was shot mostly in one room throughout. It proves that even simplicity can be scary.

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th is one of the most classic horror movies. The movie is about a serial killer attacking camp counselors from Camp Crystal Lake. This movie stands out because it’s not just a slasher film but there are many twists to the story.

Picture Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Charese Foster is a senior Political Science major with a double minor in peace and justice studies and international studies from Toledo, Ohio. She is a contributor for Her Campus Xavier. When not writing for Her Campus, she spends her time with Model United Nations, reading her horoscope and watching Netflix.