10 Ways to Make the Most out of Your Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

College can seem like uncharted territory— it doesn’t come with a roadmap. Suddenly, you feel like you’re back in middle school: Which seat should I choose in class? Am I going to find someone to eat with in the cafeteria?

Although we can’t give you all the answers, we have compiled what we think are the top ten ways to make the most out of freshman year. So stop stressing, and start having fun!

1. Do make at least one friend in all of your classes. 

Nothing is worse than needing to get notes from someone and realizing you don’t know anyone in the class. This can be easily avoided! In the first couple weeks of class just strike up a conversation with someone sitting around you. In time you will get to know each other, and maybe even hang out outside of class. It’s one of the easiest ways to make new friends, but be sure to grab their phone number just in case you have a crisis the night before the exam.

2. Don’t forget about your friends from home.

Although you should go out and make new friends, that doesn’t mean you have to leave the old ones behind! Your friendship will change because you are apart, but you can use social media to your advantage to stay close. Sending snapchats or swapping emails every once and awhile will help keep them involved in your life— and be sure make plans to meet up when you go home on breaks!

3. Do sign up for clubs (and actually go).

It’s so easy to give a ton of clubs your email address but never actually attend a meeting. Don’t be that ghost email! Your Manresa leaders may have already given you the best advice. It’s called “the rule of 3”: sign up for a club you did in high school, a club you have always wanted to join, and a club that is something completely new and different. But be sure to go to the meeting to meet new people and have fun! (Did we mention there’s a lot of free food at club meetings? Just a thought.)

4. Don’t go crazy in the cafeteria.

Buffet-style dining can lead to a lot of temptations, but don’t give in. A healthy, balanced diet will not only keep you lean and healthy, but is crucial to improving your performance in school. It also does wonders for your overall self-esteem! If you want that brownie, have that brownie, but you don’t have to eat everything from every station in one sitting. Try setting rules for yourself. For example, choose either dessert or French fries, or challenge yourself to avoid the ice cream machine entirely. It’s so much easier to avoid the dreaded Freshman 15 than to lose it.

5. Do hang out with more people besides your roommate.

Some people are blessed with awesome roommates that are like their second half. Even if that is the case, you should still find other people to hang out with once and while. There are so many interesting and diverse groups of people in college; you should take this time to find them and learn more about other people and about yourself.

6. Don’t stress about finding a boyfriend.

College is about learning, having fun, and discovering yourself. So why does it matter if you have a boyfriend with you during that journey? If you meet someone, awesome— if you don’t, that’s great too. With all the themed parties you have to plan costumes for, getting a boyfriend shouldn’t be something to stress about.

7. Do meet your advisor before your recommended time.

Although it’s required for you to meet with your advisor before you schedule your classes for next semester, we recommend introducing yourself and talking with them for a couple minutes towards the beginning of the semester when the professors aren’t overwhelmed and stressed out. That way, when it seems like you can’t get a meeting with them, they might be more willing to help you over email since you’ve shown your interest.

8. Don’t let yourself get too far behind.

Procrastinating is something we all do… just don’t let it get too far out of hand. Sometimes pushing assignments off for a fun night with the roommates or a night out is okay, but finding yourself with a ton of missing assignments and papers due at the end of the semester will leave you more stressed out than you were before the procrastination began.

9. Do keep in touch with your parents.

Whether it’s once a day, once a week or once a month, give your parents a call. Even though youmay be loving your new-found freedom, they are guaranteed to be missing you. Let them know how you’re doing in school (you should probably leave out all the partying details), and let them remind you to not stay up too late and to wash your laundry. Furthermore, face-timing with your pets from back home is always an instant pick-me-up.

10.  Don’t party so much that you miss out on other parts of college.

For some people, going out is a major part of the college package. We’re all about having a fun time. But it’s important to remember that it’s just a part of the whole, so don’t forget that you’re also there to prepare for your career. You can learn some valuable things and meet interesting people in your classes. Take a break from the alcohol and house parties some days during the week so you can get the other half of the college experience. 

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.