Students, “Find Your Voice”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Were you one of the students who went to the Organization Fair last Thursday? I saw a lot of collegiettes out and about! 

I love the Organization Fair because there are lots of different groups that represent all aspects of campus, and they all want you to get involved. The Center for Community Engagement and WE LEAD, Campus Life, Bobcat Entertainment, numerous sororities, Outdoor Recreation, Ski Club, and many other groups set up tables in front of the Gym so that you could get to know them better. These organizations want you to be more than just an I.D. number, more than just a face that someone thinks they’ve seen before in class.

Wesleyan wants you to be more than ordinary. In fact, we were all given that charge when we went to our first convocation on orientation weekend. We were given the challenge to do new things and try what we wanted. This year’s freshman class, the biggest in 10 years, was introduced to the school’s new motto: Find your voice.

So do it! Don’t hesitate. If you never got involved in high school, but you want to get involved now, don’t worry about it. Just go for it. Don’t worry about what everyone else thinks. That’s why we’re all here. We’re trying something new, something we’ve never done before. The great thing is that, if you’re worried about being alone, there are 1,400 other people on campus that are doing the same thing as you—searching for meaning in the monotony, making kaleidoscopes from the chaos.

When I became a Resident Assistant, I finally started finding my voice. When I found my voice and used it, I found a family, a home. When I found my home, I began to see that I could be free to express myself and grow. I encourage you not to wait as long as I did. Don’t wait a year to begin searching for and finding your voice. If you’re looking for a sign, this is it. If you’re looking for someone to tell you that you’re right at the cusp of finding your true self, here I am. Get out there and go. Be out there and do. Be where you are. Do what it is you are made to do. Follow where your passions lead. I promise there is a place for you.

You belong here. You fit in. You’re a vital piece of this 1,400-piece puzzle that makes up West Virginia Wesleyan College.

You, too, will find your voice. When that happens, don’t let anyone shut you up.

2015 graduate, and part of the founding HerCampus WVWC team, Stephanie now works as a Technical Writer for a technology contractor in Bridgeport, WV. Stephanie married her husband, JR, in October 2014, and together they have one toddler girl who is stealing their hearts and sanity one day and one dumped bowl of crackers at a time.