An Open Letter to the Lost Souls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

The devil whispered in my ear, “You’re not strong enough to withstand the storm.” Today I whispered in the devil’s ear, “I am the storm.”

My fellow wanderers,

We thought that 2017 would be the beginning of a new era, a time that would yield physical health, mental stability, adventure, unconditional love and incandescent happiness. Although I am still hopeful that those entities will blossom, I have yet to see signs of the potential. So far in 2017, I have struggled. My anxiety is strengthening and becoming more consuming than ever. It has met a point where I am constantly questioning my worth, the assumptions of others, and reconsidering my most enduring relationships. In a time when I imagined being unconquerable, I have discovered my innermost vulnerability. I’m broken, indefinitely, but I’m coming to realize that broken is beautiful.

Our journeys on this earth were never meant to be simple. We all struggle with various obstacles: health complications, toxic relationships, loss of self, financial burdens and infinitely more. I can feel the sorrow, you beautiful soul. I see it written across your face. I see it in your eyes; they’ve lost their sparkle. Rest assured, you can regain yourself. You can overcome the lies your brain is using to control you. You are strong. You are magnificent. You are resilient. You are worthy.

My friend, don’t lost faith. On the days when you feel like a burden, practice self-love. On the days when you feel worthless, take a walk and remind yourself how worthy you are to experience life on this beautiful earth. On days when you can do nothing but cry, release the toxins. Cry. On the days when your body is numb because your mind is consuming your existence, let yourself rest. Find your solace. Embrace your happy place; don’t let anyone invade it. But, if you find yourself driven to the breaking point, ask for help. Reach out to a dear friend, a loving family member or an empathetic ear that you trust. Even though you are capable of living a beautiful life, you are not invincible. Do not be ashamed or fearful of reaching out for love and guidance. I can assure you that a helping hand will be there to pick you up when you fall.

Sincerely,

Your fellow wanderer

Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.