Natural is the New Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

It’s out with the old and in with the new! So, say good riddance to the “on fleek” eyebrows and ombréd extensions of yesteryear.

The biggest hair/makeup trend of 2014 seemed to be making oneself look, well—fake. Thankfully, the days of watching those agonizing how-to’s on facial contouring are far behind us as far as the New Year is concerned. 

Cosmopolitan predicts that this year’s hottest beauty trends will center on a more natural vibe.

So, what does that mean for you, dear reader?

It means you can save money by using less product, decrease your getting ready time in the morning and most importantly, let your natural beauty shine!

Whether you’re dying to adopt the latest looks, or whether you simply want to step up—and in this case, also tone down—your beauty routine, feel free to try these beauty tips! It is a new year, after all.

1.  Less Styling, More Free Flying.

Step away from the curling iron! Because this season is all about letting your hair do whatever the heck it wants. For the average beauty addict, this is a pretty unsettling thought. But just think how many times you’ve accidentally clamped a finger in your “beloved” straightener—not to mention all of those dreaded split ends you’ve received from your not so fateful companion.

If you have long hair, try washing your hair before bed and sleeping in a French braid. When you wake up, it’ll be beach wave central! This method can also work on shorter hair, depending on thickness. If braids aren’t your thing, simply try tousling wet hair and setting with a sea-salt spray.  

2.  Why So Serious?

It’s pretty safe to say that 2014 was an angular year. From trying to give ourselves Angelina Jolie’s Maleficent cheekbones to drawing giant caterpillars on our faces in place of eyebrows, 2014 was most definitely a year of the severe. And this presented a bit of a problem.

For instance, how could you possibly tell if your makeup-guru roomie was mad at you? Maybe she just drew on her “angry” brows that day.

Thankfully, these dark times are but a thing of the past now. As far as contouring goes, you needn’t fret about a rigorous highlighting/bronzing routine any longer. Now, “contouring” is as simple as dusting the natural line of your cheekbones with a bit of bronzing powder. That’s it! DONE. And for goodness sake, leave your poor eyebrows be! The natural shape of the eyebrows enhances other features, such as face shape and eye shape. Now, I’m not saying to stop tweezing/waxing. You don’t want your brows to look drawn on, but you certainly don’t want them to look wild and unruly.

3.  Lighten Up.

2014 definitely showed us the darker side of hair and makeup. Practically everyone was scouring Sephora for Lorde’s Mac line of lipsticks. But, unfortunately, most of us aren’t Lorde.

The result?

Nothing short of embarrassing; we either looked super creepy or like we were trying too hard.

So, instead of going goth this year, try going for a more subtle look—but an equally edgy one. In place of black matte lipsticks, opt for rich berry shades. Rather than washing you out, these shades will be more likely to compliment your complexion. Berry shades are also great for eyeshadows this year, plum especially. This way, you can still wear darker makeups as you transition from winter to spring—without making yourself look like the Ghost of Beauty Trends Past.

With all of this being said, remember that creating a signature look—whether it be with hair, makeup or clothing—is something that is entirely up to you. Don’t simply adopt a new beauty regimen because it’s supposedly trendy; style your hair and apply your makeup in a way that makes you feel beautiful.

That’s what style is truly about.            

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !
A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!