Katlin Kouns ’17, Musical Theatre Leading Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Does the end of the semester have you down and wishing for a little distraction from all of the final projects, papers, and exams? Lucky for you our celeb this week has your solution.

Katlin Kouns is a freshman from Charleston, West Virginia majoring in Musical Theatre and Arts Administration and minoring in honors. She is an active member of the theatre department at WVWC and is playing the female lead role of Hope Cladwell in the musical Urinetown this week.   

Katlin is a lifelong dancer and singer, but has only been acting since she was a teen when she found the Charleston Light Opera Guild and discovered her calling for musical theatre.

“Getting to work to become an entirely different person with an entirely different life story than yourself is a major challenge that once you truly channel is very rewarding,” said Kouns. “I love to entertain and I think that that is my true purpose, so making people feel something that they would not be otherwise feeling, whether that be something that induces laughter or something truly sentimental, I love to be a part of that.”

Urinetown is a satirical comedy that takes a look at the absurdities of capitalism, populism, social responsibility, and musical theatre itself.  The town has experienced a drought for 20 years, which led to a mass water shortage and no private toilets. Soon Urine Good Company gains a monopoly over public bathrooms, and the poor rise up and form a revolution to pee for free!

But we don’t want to spoil too much for you before you can go experience it yourself!

According to Katlin, the ensemble, stage management, directing, and choreography along with all of the WVWC student actors have created a great and hilarious production.

Urinetown opens this Thursday and will be running Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 8pm and with a matinee at 2pm on Saturday as well. Go out and support Katlin and all of the talented actors and actresses of WVWC this weekend!

A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!