danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How I Paid for My Europe Trip on a College Student’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

This past summer, I had the opportunity to make the trip of a lifetime to five different European countries, and I paid for it working part-time during the summer. Many continue to ask me, “How in the world did you pay for such an expensive trip?” Well here’s how:

Step 1: Find a Job.

The first, and probably the most important step to saving, is to find a job with lots of hours available. Keep in mind, I had no money saved for this trip until I began working in May of 2017, and during this time, I had been working approximately 25-30 hours a week for $10 an hour. Now, with taxes and other fees, my paycheck usually amounted to about $200-$220 a week. I made an effort to try and not spend my money on temporary items like fast food or clothes, etc., but occasionally I would splurge here and there. However, on top of working, I would also offer to help my relatives out with big projects that needed finished (painting, moving furniture, etc.). That also brought in quite a bit of money that helped pay for my trip. (Now slight disclaimer: I was also gone for a month in the Philippines, so I didn’t have any income for those few weeks, which is why I offered my help for my relatives, so, in reality, I had a total of about 2 months to save, which was very reasonable!) 

Step 2: Find a Travel Buddy.

It just so happened that my travel buddy was my boyfriend—a native Englander— so exploring Europe was much easier with him as my pseudo-tour guide. Not only does having a travel buddy make the trip worthwhile, but also having another person to split the costs of accommodations and other expenses is really nice.

Step 3: Book Everything in Advance.

This is probably the most crucial step when planning a big trip. Everything is normally 40-50% cheaper when you book at least 4-5 months in advance, plane tickets especially (another slight disclaimer: I had my plane ticket paid for, but it is much easier to save for it if you book in advance).

Step 4: Airbnbs are Very Cost Effective.

Depending on where you are going, hotels can add up to an extortionate amount of money, and if you aren’t too keen on staying in communal hostels, this is the option is for you! A pro tip is to open the map on the Airbnb website and compare prices based on location. You can sometimes score a really great deal using this feature, but don’t forget to check the ratings and reviews to make sure the place is as legit as the photos!

Step 5: Skip Shopping.

This is a mistake I have found that many of my friends fall for all the time: spending their money on clothes and other unnecessary items. While shopping for all kinds of European fashion can be a thrill, it also puts a big dent into the budget when you only have so much cash with you. Doing this allows you to splurge on things like transportation (Uber or taxis instead of walking), which is really nice because it gives you more time to see more sites! If you do feel the need to spend, buy some trinkets like keychains or bracelets to commemorate your trip!

Happy travels, HCXO!