How to Deal With Sunburn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

With summer right around the corner and spring break just finished, it’s about time for some fun, wouldn’t you say? That means swimming, barbeques and fun in the sun, and with that sun time comes tanning. Whether you get a tan from lying out, going to a tanning bed or just from doing other activities outside, you can almost always count on getting at least a minor tan in the summer. With that tan can unfortunately come sun burn. Speaking from experience, sunburns aren’t fun. (After one day of laying out, my back now resembles a lobster!) It’s time we educate ourselves about sunburn!

Sunburn can occur in less than 15 minutes, but it’s often not immediately obvious. After sun exposure, skin may turn red in as little as 30 minutes. It most often takes 2-6 hours to see the damage that’s been done. Pain is usually most extreme 6 -48 hours after exposure, and the burn continues to develop for 24-72 hours, occasionally followed by peeling skin 3-8 days later. Overall, tanning is bad for you, uncomfortable and kind of gross.

The most important thing you can do is prevent sunburns altogether. The number one way you can avoid it is, clearly, to avoid exposing yourself to the sun! Limit time in the midday sun (between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.) and seek shade during those hot hours. If you do have to be outside, wear protective clothing and a wide-brim hat and, most importantly, remember to use sunscreen.

No one really wants to cover up in the summer, and if you’re out and active, it’s difficult to avoid the middle of the day. Instead of wearing extra clothes, get your SPF on! Thanks to modern technology, you can use lotion or spray it, too, which is extra convenient when you’re in a hurry. There’s no excuse for not taking a brief moment to apply sunscreen! Make sure to put it on regularly.

If you do get a sunburn, there are several ways to relieve the pain. Our family tradition is to put vinegar on the infected area. I swear, it works! You can also buy aloe, or simply put a cool cloth on the burn.  It’s also super important to drink water because some sunburns can cause dehydration!

So, while it’s extremely exciting that summer is finally coming up and we can put this snow behind us, make sure to stay careful when you’re exposed to the sun’s rays! Be safe, stay cool and wear lots of sunblock!

A Writing and Gender Studies Major, Alpha Gamma Delta sister, and 4Her.