GloZell Goes to D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Do you remember the Youtube star that would do those crazy food challenges, and you couldn’t help but choke laughing at her reactions? This same Youtuber who glows up the screen with her sparkly green lips?

GloZell Green, recognizable by those funny Youtube videos and her outrageously green lips, met with the President this past week, and blew up the internet again. She was scheduled for a special interview at the White House along with two other Youtube celebrities, vlogger Bethany Mota and vlogger Hank Green.

Twitter followers of GloZell had the opportunity to submit fan questions that she would ask the President of the United States.

It was not her fan-submitted questions that earned her the fame, but the blunders and “What the heck?” statements she made at the President that have people questioning the level of respect we have for our leaders of State.

In the interview, she gave President Obama a tube of glitter green lipstick for his “First Wife”. She is the “First Lady of the United States”. The President took this in stride, joking that GloZell may know something he doesn’t know about his relationship with his wife. I’m glad that the President has a sense of humor, but should there be pictures now surfacing on the internet saying “Globama” with photoshopped green lips on President Obama?

The interview with GloZell did cover some great topics, including what happened between North Korea and Sony and how the President is handling the situation to help private companies protect themselves against future issues of this nature.

GloZell brought up family members that she had in law enforcement and a husband retired from the Air Force, and how that relates to recent issues. They spoke about the new race issues of recent months, and what the President’s proactive plans are to work through this.

All of these topics are good things to discuss. It’s important that GloZell is bringing up issues that show how connected she is with the general American public and the issues that concern them.

Then things go a little unprofessional. GloZell has close Cuban-American friends who moved to the United States to get away from dictatorships, and she puts the situation in these terms:

“[Fidel Castro] puts the ‘dick’ in ‘dictatorship’.”

Days after the interview, the only really notable thing that made the news from the interview was the “‘dick’ in ‘dictatorship’” comment.

When did it become acceptable for an interviewer to use that kind of unprofessional language in an interview the President of the United States, the leader of the free world?

No matter who you stand for or against, when you are faced with an opportunity such as meeting with a leader of state, please do yourself a favor and ask your burning questions in a manner that is respectful to our country, our leaders, and yourself.

What do you think? Was the interview one that made it okay to use candid language, or do you think that GloZell Green was lacking in respect for the President of the United States?

Share your thoughts with us!

2015 graduate, and part of the founding HerCampus WVWC team, Stephanie now works as a Technical Writer for a technology contractor in Bridgeport, WV. Stephanie married her husband, JR, in October 2014, and together they have one toddler girl who is stealing their hearts and sanity one day and one dumped bowl of crackers at a time.
A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!