This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Dear 18-year-old me,

I know you enough to know that your first thought is “I don’t have time to read this, I have a midterm on Monday!” Trust me, that algebra homework can wait just a few minutes.

I have been thinking about you quite a bit lately. You see, when you get to your senior year, you become reflective of your college years and who you used to be. I have been remembering your crazy, ambitious, and care-free self, and I wanted to write this letter to you.

At this point, your college career is in full swing, and there is already a lot on your plate with clubs, volunteering, and classes, so I’d like to offer you a few pieces of advice from someone who has (literally) made it through the crazy time that is your freshman year.

Listen to your professors: Okay, so this might be an obvious one coming right out of high school. However, you are going to have professors that you disagree with and professors who you don’t get along with. However, you should recognize that your professors have lived more of this life than you, and their experiences have helped shaped them into who they are today. So, when they tell you about where they used to work, or tell you about their personal lives, take a second to listen. You never know the stories you might be privileged to hear.

Get involved in things you enjoy: You’re going to hear quite a bit that getting involved is the best way to enhance your “college experience”. Don’t take this at face value. What enhances your college experience is finding what you love and surrounding yourself with people who share that same passion. So, jump into things that set your soul on fire and enjoy them to the fullest.

Don’t lose your ambition: One thing that I have always admired about you is how you thought an education would be your ticket to having an impact on people’s lives. You always thought that going to college was a dream come true. Don’t lose that!  College is hard, and you will have days you where you will want to give up. When the day pushes you to your limit, think about the people you want to help, and think about why you began this journey in the first place. This is the best thing you could’ve done for yourself, and you will be able to create change as a result. Stay your beautiful and ambitious self and keep working toward your dream!

Numbers don’t define you: Whether that number is on the scale or at the top of a test, you are so much more than those numbers! You are enough, and don’t you forget it!  

Call your parents: You do this every day anyway, but I just thought I would remind you. If anyone is more willing to support you during this journey, it’s them. They will be your biggest cheerleaders and the ones you can come to when it feels like the entire world is crashing down. When you want to give up, they will be your biggest motivation to keep going.

Take in the view: I know this is incredibly corny, but you are on one of the most beautiful campuses in the state! Take a break, look around and appreciate the beauty that is around you every day. Whether you are walking to class or walking nowhere in particular, stop and enjoy your Home Among the Hills.

Now, I know this all may seem like basic advice, but when you get into my position, it is a list of things you may forget or take for granted. College is a long and crazy journey, but I promise you, there is always something good to take away from every day. You will make friends, you will pass that class, you will get that 4.0 (in your junior year, but small victories count for something), and most importantly, WVWC will feel like home in due time.

Beautiful one, I truly wish you could see what I see now. I wish you could see the work you will do in your major and the things you will be involved in, but I don’t want to ruin the surprise. Keep working, keep grinding, and embrace those successes for yourself. You will make it to the finish line. See you at graduation!

All my love,

22-year-old me.

Image Credit:

http://www.thelotuspure.com/tag/dear-me/