Why You Should Live in Your Chapter’s Sorority House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Being in a sorority is more than just “paying for your friends.” It does indeed create lifelong friendships, networking opportunities, philanthropy work, and much more. One of the perks of joining a sorority is being able to live in your chapter’s house. The housing provided from each school for each chapter can range from massive mansions, to small houses, to specific floors in apartments or dorms. No matter the size, it’s an amazing way to bond with sisters and create new memories.

One of the main perks of living in your sorority house is the new bonds you make with the sisters living in the house, as well. Since you would most likely live in the house during your sophomore year, transferring from the dorms to the sorority house is a great transition where you get to be around your sisters everyday instead of a few times a week! Even if you feel you are not close with many of the sisters in your chapter, that will easily change. You get to know these women so well and better than you ever thought you could. These women are the sisters you become closest with in your chapter and get to share everyday life with.

If you could ask any sister living in her chapter’s house, one of their favorite aspects (if they are lucky enough) is the house’s chef. With a chef cooking for many girls everyday, they have a big responsibility of feeding three meals a day to hungry girls. But the chef’s food that is created in each house is incredible. The chef makes almost any food requested within five minutes and has amazing set dinner meals for each night. You cannot get much better than that!

As you girls know, we can never have too many clothes. But, our closets sometimes do not support our clothing buying habits. Well you’re in handy because you have a million new clothes to wear for a job interview, or a night going out on the town, or even a nice dress for a date party or formal! All of the clothes swapping in the house saves you money for when you need to buy an outfit.

Some people do not want to live in their sorority house because they feel as if the entire sorority will become their life. This is false! Living in the house still gives you your own individual freedom and allows you to be apart of the sorority as much as you would like. Though various positions require that sister to live in the house, they would not regret it. Being an in-house sister gives you a new perspective on your sorority, your sisters, and even Greek Life as a whole. You will feel more connected to all three of aspects and it is a great feeling knowing you can be apart of an amazing organization and live in a place where sisters from decades ago used to live in too.

I'm from Frederick, MD, but call Morgantown, WV my second home! I am a sophomore at WVU with a major in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Advertising and a minor in Business Administration. I am actively involved with being a sister of Alpha Xi Delta, U-92 FM, WVU AAF Ad Club and the Mountaineer Maniacs. 
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!