Why It’s Okay Not to Go to Your Dream School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Every high school junior and senior has a list of schools they want to apply to, and at the top of the list is their number one choice. Their dream school. You work so hard on the application and essay, that you think there’s no way you’d get denied. Once you submit the application comes the weeks or months eagerly awaiting the college of your dreams decision. The day the letter comes in the mail will be one of the most exciting experiences of your life so far. You nervously open the letter, scared to read it. “Congratulations! You have been accepted…” that’s the furthest you read at the moment, and it’s all you have to read. You did it! You got accepted into your dream school.

You tell yourself that no other school matters now. You join the university’s class of whatever Facebook page, and start getting excited to attend said dream school in the fall. The next part of this scenario is probably not what you’d think it to be. Something unexpected happens, and your “perfect” ideals come crashing down.

You can’t attend your dream school. Whether the reason be finances, distance or other issues you just can’t attend. Everything you’ve worked so hard for has ended and been taken away. This decision to not attend your dream school will be one of the most difficult ones you and your family have to make. You have to start over and make new decisions, and quick.

When I went through this situation, I thought the world was ending. It took me until the final deadline to decide on a school, and I was barely able to make a decision then.  I’ll admit it getting excited about coming to school was hard, and I second guessed my decision on a daily basis. But, it’s understandable. You were expecting something completely different than what actually happened for a big part of your future.

You may think that college will be terrible anywhere else or that you don’t even want to go to college at all any more, but don’t let this one set back ruin your college experience. With an open mind you can make any school your dream school. Go to school, join clubs, be social. You can turn an experience you were dreading into the best four years of your life. You’ll meet people who change your life and people who you couldn’t imagine your life without.

As cliché as it sounds, everything happens for a reason, and there was reason your plan didn’t work out. You might not be excited, but try to be. If you accept the outcome of your situation instead of dwelling on it, you’ll be much happier and excited about what ever school you do attend.

Just a Pittsburgh girl livin' in the wild and wonderful West Viriginia. WVU '19 Public Relations, Sister of Pi Beta Phi, and Corgi enthusiast.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!