etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It Is Crucial for Our Generation to Follow Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Writing this article is a bit out of character for me, because I am the type of person who tries to stay out of conflict. I have stayed away from the word “politics” my whole life, because from what I’ve seen it just causes drama and aggravation. But, 2016 rolled around and things started to get serious. As a young adult, I knew it was my time to become informed.

I declared a minor in political science and read seven books in the span of three months to try to grasp what politics even entail. Boy, was it grueling. But, it’s crucial. And, here’s why if you’re a young adult, a millennial, or whatever you may call it, you need to get in the know about what’s happening in the White House, well right now.

Our generation voted in this recent election, which is terrifying. Social media has exposed the world to many people who simply just don’t want to care. I can’t even count how many tweets I read that baffled me along the lines of people throwing their vote away because they don’t know enough or feel like they can’t make a difference.

Also, the information that is easily accessible is certainly the drama, entertainment side of things. When TMZ tweets out the latest fight that happened or who tweeted what, it’s too easy to follow along. Especially when the President of the United States participates in “Twitter fights” and average Joes can follow along with front row seats.

The progress our country has made is in jeopardy. I do have to say, this is not necessarily all because of the President, but a perfect storm. We’ve taken one step forward and two steps back. The images on TV are similar to the 1960’s Civil Rights Movement. Equality and freedom, which is what our nation was founded on, is not guaranteed anymore. Immigrants, legal American citizens, are terrified of removal. Gay and LGBTQ citizens are fearing not only a backlash of hatred, because our elected officials make it okay, but fear their right to marriage and any chance of progress will be taken away. Climate change, which has been scientifically proven, is now ignored. Reproductive rights are in danger. Freedom of press is basically being called out as “fake.”

These are just a few of controversial issues that have been brought back to negotiation, or have been feared to, because of the political hostile environment we live in.

Why should you care? You’re our future. You will be telling your children about this one day – telling your future daughter her best friend is hated by Americans because she practices Islam. The hatred, separation and division will only continue if our generation does not stand up, scream out, fight for our rights and resist.

Political views are one thing. But, creating a country thriving off of inequality, racism, prejudice, hatred and division is morally wrong. To put another human down for terms they can’t help, that shouldn’t be looked at as a bad thing, is wrong.

No matter what you believe is right, following what is happening in our country is crucial right now. We will be voting in less than four years again. We will be the ones to decide our future. Our country’s future lies in our hands. We have to care because if we don’t, who will?

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!