What To Wear On Campus: Fall 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With the semester in full swing for West Virginia University collegiettes, it’s time for us to focus on our studies and extracurriculars. From class, to meetings, to practice we often find ourselves biting off way more than we can chew. One thing you don’t have to stress over this semester? What you wear! Her Campus has you covered from head to toe—literally.

1.Tinted moisturizer and tinted lip balm are the quickest and easiest ways to look put-together without sacrificing too much time getting ready in the a.m. Tinted moisturizer maintains your youthful glow while helping to even the appearance of your skin tone (some brands are even equipped with SPF to shield you from the sun); tinted lip balm gives you the transparent version of a lipstick color, which is more suitable for daytime, and doesn’t need a mirror to be applied. Tip: Apply tinted moisturizer before you get dressed, style your hair and eat breakfast, that way it has time to soak in completely before you leave for the day.

2. Our campus’ habit of being hot outside and cold in the classroom (or vice versa) makes layering essential. Grab a cardigan in a neutral hue before you head out the door every day, or risk being too uncomfortable to deal with your responsibilities. Tip: Monochrome ensembles are in this season, so try matching the cardigan to the rest of your outfit. This way, it looks current—not borrowed from Grandma.

3. A t-shirt dress perfect for appearing polished on even your busiest days. After basically being thrown on, they can be dressed up with stockings and a leather jacket, or dressed down with high-tops and a pullover. Tip: Not all t-shirt dresses are created equal. Shop around until you find one that meets both your comfort and aesthetic preferences. The best fit for you is out there, so don’t settle for anything less.

4. Comfortable walking shoes are a must. That doesn’t mean you have to break out a monstrous pair of hiking shoes or sacrifice all your favorite outfits in the name of sensibility, but on a campus as treacherous as WVU’s, a quality pair of a sneakers or a sturdy pair of boots would definitely be a one of your best investments.

There’s a half-truth that heels are just not socially acceptable on any college campus, and while that’s accurate for look-at-me stilettos and pumps, those cushion-y and super-supportive platforms are a classroom-appropriate way to give yourself the extra boost you crave. Tip: Neither black nor white will ever fail you, so avoid flashy footwear by opting for a pair in one of the two most trusted shades. By doing so you’ll ensure that any pricey shoes you purchase match the majority of your wardrobe. 

Madalyn is a journalism graduate student at West Virginia University. In 2016 she graduated with a B.S. in journalism from WVU. She also completed a minor in Spanish language, literature and linguistics. When she is not studying or working, Madalyn enjoys reading, exercising (especially running, hiking and cycling), playing with her dogs, art and fashion. 
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.