University Police Speaks to HC WVU About Staying Safe on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

When students come to college they plan on learning, making new friends and having exciting experiences in a new setting. What they might not always put to the forefront of a situation is safety. That’s where the University Police or “Campus PD” can step in and help.

As I walked into the University Police station I was greeting by a very excited woman. She led me to a conference room and as I was following her I couldn’t help but notice her pink handcuffs, which, I thought were a nice touch. Sgt. Peggy Runyon has been with the West Virginia University Police Department for 12 years. She is the Crime Prevention officer and one tough lady. She shared with me what it is that the University Police do and some good stories of some things that have happened right here in town.

“First and foremost, the purpose of the University Police is to make sure the campus is safe for everyone to work and to educate themselves,” Sgt. Runyon told me.

She continued, “Our main objective is safety.”

Some of the services the University Police provide are things that everyone would expect. They are a constant presence and provide a feeling of safety and security, but they also provide information sessions for freshman and target the residence halls when doing alcohol and drug education programs. For students just starting college, things like alcohol can be overwhelming and learning how to drink responsibly can save them from putting themselves in a dangerous situation.

Not only do they provide services for students but also put on programs aimed at staff dealing with violence in the workplace. The University Police have a broad range of jurisdiction to maintain safety on the campus and surrounding properties.

[pagebreak]

“We cover all three campuses, state owned property and roadways immediately adjacent to any school or state property,” said Sgt. Runyon.

One of the common things they deal with while on duty is safety related to drugs and alcohol. Because there is a lot of drinking in the areas surrounding the campus, University Police on certain weekdays and on the weekends are constantly dealing with intoxicated students or students who are under the influence.

“How many people we find that are intoxicated or are getting into fights really depends on the time of the year,” Sgt. Runyon stated.

“The warmer weather will bring on the fights and things of that nature. We can also always expect certain holidays to be busy for us. Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s day and the end of the semester are always times we have to be on high alert for problems. Even after football games students and fans can get extra rowdy and more problems will occur than usual and we want to minimize any sort of violence.”

She also told me about many ways as to how students can avoid getting into trouble and keep themselves safe.

“Most safety tips are common sense,” Sgt. Runyon said, “but many students will not listen to or follow those rules until it happens to them, which is unfortunate.”

The most important thing is to respect yourself and others because if you don’t, no one else will either. Certain types of clothing or lack there of, will bring on unwanted attention. Females especially will walk home alone at night after partying and this can lead to many bad things. Always use the buddy system when out at night or call a cab. Also make sure someone knows where you are and don’t go to strange places by yourself. Also never take drinks from other people, always get them yourself and never leave your drink then come back to it. You never know what can happen. Bartenders have in more than one occasion, been paid to put certain things in girls’ drinks. Things like this can happen to males also. Anyone walking alone is an easy target.

Anything is possible around the campus, good and bad. During the history of the University gunman have been in residence halls and I have even heard fr a hitchhiker picking up girls and raping them. Of course these are very rare situations, but they can never be ruled out.

“What we want students to know is that we are here to help,” Sgt. Runyon said. “We have gone through all of the same training as every other police officer and we want people to think of us as security. We just want everyone in the community to be safe and to stay that way.”

To stay safe on campus, especially at night, remember the tips mentioned above, and know that the University Police can be your best friend when it comes to safety. If you’re ever on campus and in trouble find, one of the blue light towers and press the button: someone will find you to help. Stay knowledgeable and be safe, Mountaineers!

Rachel is a junior at West Virginia University and a direct-admit to the P.I. Reed School of Journalism, majoring in public relations with a minor in dance. She is the treasurer of the WVU chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America and a member of the WVU Dance Ensemble. Rachel is currently an intern with the Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce, where she single-handedly designs, writes and edits the monthly newsletter. She also works part-time at Guess. Writing, dancing and fashion are all passions of Rachel’s. In her free time, she enjoys getting coffee, shopping (especially for high heels and dresses), tanning, sushi, reading, listening to music and being a closet movie buff. Rachel’s hometown is Pittsburgh, PA, where she hopes to return to live and work someday at a public relations agency.