Senior Year… Or Freshman?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The moment we’ve all been waiting for – going back to school for another beyond amazing year. We get to our apartment, unpack, and call our friends to start the week-long celebration of all being back together. Yet, we finally realize one thing – we are seniors. SENIORS? Is that a real word? Is this real life? But I don’t want to grow up!

Well, ladies, I am here to tell you that you still have one more year of waking up at 2 PM and having Easy Mac for dinner on Sundays. Making senior year like your freshman year will make you live it up to the fullest and appreciate your past 4 years. Here are some tips to not dwell on it being your senior year, yet act like this is the start of something new.

Go out on that random Tuesday even though you have a paper due on Wednesday. Because who wouldn’t want a nice margarita with tacos or wearing cowboy boots at Texas Tuesday while spotting out cuties at the bar? You have plenty of time to create an A+ paper, but you never know what shenanigans you can get into frolicking down High Street with your girlfriends on a weekday.

Take a 101 class if you have credits to spare. This will not only raise your GPA, but it will let you have a little break compared to the rest of your packed schedule. Who knows, you might even meet someone special that you wouldn’t have had the chance otherwise!

Take advantage of the meal plan. A few swipes a week goes a long way! Trust me, being able to get that buffalo chicken sub at Grab n Go will not only bring back memories, but will cure any bad quiz grade that you might of received that week.

Go to every sporting event and stay until the end. Remember freshman year when you got thrown up in the air 36 times by 5 boys? Well, do it again. Give back to the team that has been a huge impact on your life in these past years.

Call your parents every day. Remember when you would cry to them about the sucky dorm food or a boy that didn’t answer your text? They miss that – remind them how much you appreciate her for everything she has done to get you past these years away from home. No matter how old you are, you’re always a little girl to them.

Last but not least, walk around campus on a Saturday afternoon. Go to a new gym class at the Rec Center. Go run on the Rail Trail. Eat 3 hot dogs from the hot dog man after a night out. Go to Blue Hole with your friends. Get involved with at least one new club. Even though you have one more year left, do everything you have wanted too and more. Make a bucket list and cross them off. Make it like you just got here as a freshman – I guarantee it will be the most amazing year yet.

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.