An Open Letter to Nostalgia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As the years elapse you will not be the you that you are at this very moment.

Sometimes it’s when you’re all alone and left to tend and tidy your thoughts from the day.  Sometimes it’s a song, a place, a smell or a sound. Sometimes it’s the joy in a particular moment that you just want to re-experience. Sometimes it’s when life is overwhelming and you can’t help but to pray for time to rewind.

Nostalgia happens to the best of us. It can happen when we least expect it, or it can be blooming for so long that there’s a subtle, bittersweet pang of emptiness that lingers in the hollows of our chests. It can come in sprinkles and torrents and range from a spring day to a violent hurricane and it’s up to you to make the best of it. Some memories are sprouts and some take root. Make these seedlings flowers and do not turn them into weeds scourging your mind.

We all grow, we all change, we all bloom into these wonderful images because of our past. We can’t change it. Even though we may want to travel back into these moments that have passed, we simply can’t. We can dream and hope and pray and beg for them back but they never will come back because moments are fleeting and our time is finite and we can never have the infinite, standstill that we all so desperately long for. Living inside the memories of the mind can be a wretched and self-destructive task if there is too much time spent there. Too much longing can be difficult to comprehend and impending sadness can make it hard to live utterly in the present.

But it’s okay to be nostalgic. It’s okay to be a little sad about the past. We’re all human. We all feel emotion.

But never let it win. Do not let it control your life because you have this very moment to make new memories without the past tainting or suppressing you from them. Do not let your past define you – instead, use it as the light pitter-patter of rain to flourish your soul. 

Greetings! My name is Graeson Baker and I am currently a junior PR major here at WVU. For more info about me, feel free to check out my personal website at http://www.graesonbrooke.co.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!