Meet One of WVU’s Mountaineers: Vannah Lusk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Shannon Smith (SS): What is your year and major?

Vannah Lusk (VL): Junior Exercise Physiology Major

SS: What are your aspirations for after college?

VL: Medical School and then hopefully an oncological surgeon.

SS: How long have you known you wanted to be the Mountaineer?

VL: Since I met Natalie Tennant at the Capital my senior year. When I was in high school, I used to sport a morph suit and a tutu, leading my cheering section, so I’ve always been a pretty hype individual.

SS: What was the auditioning and training process like?

VL: It was nerve wracking, especially since it was my first time. I had to write like 5 essays with my application, do an interview, and finally the top 4 did a cheer off at a basketball game! It was fun, but I lost a lot of sleep.

SS: What types of events do you attend?

VL: Anywhere from sporting events to fairs, visiting schools and doing events for the university! Lots of kids and incoming students

SS: What is your favorite part about being the Mountaineer?

VL: The kids definitely. They make me feel like a million bucks. We read, play basketball, and just talk about life. I’ve learned so much from them.

SS: How has this experience been for you thus far?

VL: A dream!!! I legit have to pinch myself sometimes to ensure it is real. Like I’m the fourth woman to EVER wear the buckskins! It’s so amazing!

SS: How do you think this position will benefit your future career goals?

VL: I’ve learned so much about people in this role. I’m better at feeding off people and noticing their moods. Being a doctor, you really have to be in tuned to others that you are taking care of and working with. This has definitely made me more personable.

SS: What do you think makes the WVU sports atmosphere and fan base so special compared to other universities?  

VL: We are a resilient bunch. We never give up. That’s what’s so great about the fan base. Whether you are watching soccer, volleyball, or basketball, every Mountaineer fan gives their team 100%. That’s easy to feed off of.

SS: How has being the Mountaineer changed your life?

VL: Oh man, I can’t put that into words. It’s definitely made me more humble. Throughout the process of getting/being the Mountaineer, I’ve had to rely on my family, friends, God and administration to make my life work. It takes a village for sure. However, it has also made me more confident. I mean, how could I get nervous for a Biochemistry test when I’ve  cheered in front of hundreds of people?

SS: What is your favorite part about Morgantown or West Virginia as a whole?

VL: The people. We are truly a family. You won’t find more solid, interesting, and passionate folks! Everyone is so willing to help each other. There’s no place I’d rather be!

West Virginia University. Alpha Phi. Grey's Anatomy over everything. I just really miss Harambe. "I fall in love with places I've never been and people I've never met."
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!