How to Make the Most of Your College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Go to sporting events

Not everyone likes sports, but going to sporting events are a different type of experience. College games are much more fun than high school games. Don’t just stick to the sports you are familiar with. Check out a lacrosse game or a gymnastics meet.

Join Clubs

Joining a club may seem like something small, but getting involved on campus is important. Whether your joining student government or club for your major, you’ll be able to broaden your horizons. It is also a great way to meet new people who are interested in the same things you do.

Talk to your classmates

Making friends is one of the best things about college. You’ll meet people who you have so much in common with. You’re not required to be friends with anyone because you’re stuck with them like in high school. Becoming friends with classmates also gives you a study buddy or someone to give you the notes when you skip class to sleep in.

Go out on the town

Partying isn’t everyones forte. Not everyone will like bars, clubs or frat parties. Going out is part of the college experience. Going to one frat party may not be something you’re comfortable with, but it is something that is unique to the college experience.

Attend lectures

Getting the most of your college experience means learning as much as possible. Attending lectures will help give you more of an inside look in your field. They’re a great way to make the most of your education.

Go to class

This may seem to be the least important one for the college experience, but the main point of college is learning and gaining new skills to help you in the future. It might seem fun to skip class and hang out with friends, but the lessons you’re missing in class could be things you’ll need for your career in the future. Go to class, regardless of how boring it seems.

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!