Her Campus WVU Gets a Behind-the-Scenes Interview with SGA Candidates!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

WVU Her Campus had the privilege to interview West Virginia University Presidential and Vice Presidential Candidates, Jason Bailey and Megan Callaghan. We have the real information as to Callaghan’s Facebook relationship with opponent, Joe Harmon, and why this election campaign has been so negative. Read below for all of the scoop!

WVU Her Campus: “How did you come up with your ticket name?”
Megan Callaghan: “The reason we came up with the name “Fusion” is because we wanted to fuse together the entire student body, such as the greeks and non-greeks, students and graduate students, and on and off campus students. We want to represent the students the best we can. The best way to come up with a solutions is through student input.”

Jason Bailey: “The ideals we fuse together are balance, competency and innovation.”

WVU HC: “What is going on with your Facebook Relationship with Joe Harmon?”
MC: “We’ve been friends for a long time, and I would never do anything negative towards him. Obviously it is a controversial situation, but in the end, the election isn’t about me and Joe or our relationship on Facebook, but rather who will serve the students best.”

WVU HC: “How did you pick your ticket?”
MC: “Once Jason and I came together, we wanted every student to have an open invitation. We held open interviews, and we did not deny anyone from the interview. From the interview, we picked the most hardworking and competent students to form a student ticket.”

WVU HC: “How do you feel about personal attacks made at the last debate?”

JB: “It’s disheartening, not so much about things said about me, but the topics weren’t completely student centered. Student issues are the most important part of elections. When it came down to it, my decision to serve the student body was not made on law school. I didn’t enter this race to air the dirty laundry of the Pirate Party. My sole intention on running was to improve WVU at the best of my ability. Using the time I have to campaign is more important to me than mud-slinging the other ticket.”

MC: “Mine and Jason’s goal going into debate was to stay as positive and student centered as possible. I think we stayed poised and composed throughout the negative remarks and personal issues brought up. However, even though we did respond to some remarks, it’s very hard to not defend yourself when you’re in the public eye.”

WVU HC: “In regards of the violations seen in the Daily Athenaeum today, have you seen any negative campaigning?”
MC: “I have stayed proud of my party because we haven’t engaged in negative campaigning. Many students have, however, seen negative campaigning, such as banners being destroyed, negative banners hung, snide comments, and posters being vandalized or torn down.”

JB: “The focus of this campaign has gone negative faster than in previous campaigns. It’s not fair to the students that they have to be brought into this as well because it affects their knowledge of both parties’ stance on issues. Some people participating in negative campaigning don’t realize their actions are affecting the election. Young students that could possibly the next student government leaders could be discouraged to run.”

WVU HC: “What kind of campaign do you run?”
JB: “Our focus has and will remained on the students and their issues at WVU. No matter what happens on the other side, we will always set out for the type of campaign we run.”

MC: “We run a positive campaign regardless of what our opponents say or do.”

*The Pirate Party chose not to respond to these questions.

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.