Going Through a Break Up (as Told by Kim Kardashian)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Going through a break up is one of the hardest things girls our age have to go through. It always ends up getting worse than it should have been because of others getting involved, us girls becoming stalkers and simply missing them so much that you would do just about anything to get them back. It may take 6 months, a year, maybe even a week but once you finally get through those obstacles and you’ve moved on you’re going to feel like a new person and think to yourself, “what did I ever even see in that kid.”

1. Crying – let it all out, no matter how long it takes and trust me it could take a while. You just lost your other half so it’s completely understandable.

2. Eating – don’t do it don’t do it. Be the ex who intimidates all the new girls that try to even go near him, be the ex who he craves, don’t be the ex who gets fat because she eats whenever she’s sad. You’re better than that!

3. Anger – you will yell and freak out on average 6 times a day. You have every right to be mad at him and the situation. You might have thought he was the one but he wasn’t and it makes you angry to think about all the wasted time you spent on him. Think of it as a learning experience.

4. Denial – it’s easy to pretend something didn’t happen. Keep his pictures up in your room, try to text him 24/7 like you did before you broke up, you even might continue to wear the jewelry he bought you but none of that is going to help you. If anything, it’ll just add extra recovery time. Get it through your head; you broke up.

5. Regret- what did I do, why doesn’t he love me anymore, can I change this, should I change myself? Never and I repeat NEVER change who you are for a boy. You are an amazing person who has ambition like no other. You’ll find your prince charming who loves everything about you and doesn’t need you to change, so wait for him instead of trying to change the person you’ve always been for someone who doesn’t love who you really are.

6. Drinking – drinking isn’t the answer ladies. Yes, it might make you feel good at the time and you might even run up to your friends while you’re downtown screaming, “who cares about him I love being single” but when you wake up the next morning hung-over you’re going to remember that you DO care about him and everything will feel even worse.

7. Make yourself mad by stalking the crap out of all of his social media accounts – do you really want to go to his instagram and see him and his new girl? NO. So save yourself the tears and ignore every social media post that has his name in it because he could tweet: my dog is so cute and what you’ll read is: my new girlfriend is so cute, my ex sucked. It’ll feel good a couple months down the road when you hear stories about him and his girlfriend and genuinely feel happy for him because guess what, you’re over him!

8. Tell him off – it’s normal to text him a paragraph about how ugly he is, how you hate him, how he’s stupid, how he’s nothing special, how he absolutely sucks. None of that is true, all you’re doing is trying to make yourself feel better by making him feel worse. You obviously loved something about him so don’t pretend you didn’t. That’s just going to make him run away from you even faster. I know it’s easier said than done but do everyone a favor and just leave him alone.

9. Try having a good time – it’s going to be nearly impossible. You wont want to leave your room. You’ll think to yourself, maybe if I stay in he’ll see how serious I am about getting back together. Don’t change your habits for him, go at least try to have fun.

10. Actually have a good time – it’s going to take a while but you’re going to finally be happy when you go out, you’re going to be happy when guys give you attention, you’re going to be happy when you’re not looking at your phone waiting for his phone call and feeling guilty for even talking to a boy! The night that you start feeling this way will be the best night of your life.

11. Acceptance- just think, he really will never find someone as great as you and it’s pretty funny that he let you slip out of his fingers. Joke is on him!

12. Closure – you’re going to get to a point where you feel like you can’t even remember what was so great about him and why you fell for him as hard as you did. You’ll start looking at guys again and not see your ex in them. You’ll stop picking out every imperfection from the new guys you meet and you’ll stop saying, “my ex wouldn’t have done that.” Once you get to that point of the break up you’ve gotten your closure.

13. Moving on – your prince charming is out there. The man who will make you smile from cheek to cheek is waiting for you. This relationship wasn’t meant to be and that’s okay. There are bigger and better things out there than what you lost, just give yourself some time to find it.

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!