Football Star, Terrell Chestnut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Terrell Chestnut! He is a cornerback for the WVU football team from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Terrell recently graduated from WVU with a sociology major, and is now working on his masters. Before he played for the Mountaineers, Terrell was the quarterback, and played safety for Pottsgrove High School. He originally started playing in 7th grade because all of his friends wanted him to. He knew it was a good way he would stay out of trouble, and do well in school. A fun fact about Terrell is that in high school he played with Maika Polamalu who is the cousin of Troy Polamalu, a former Steeler’s player. Look out for #16 this year in the Milan Puskar stadium. Let’s go Mountaineers!

Q: How long have you been playing football?

A: I’ve been playing football since I was fourteen.

Q: What made you choose to play for WVU?

A: I chose to play at WVU because the coaches were loyal to me even after I originally committed to Pitt. 

Q: What has been the highlight of your career thus far?

A: The highlight of my career so far was my touchdown against TCU last season. 

Q: How do you spend your off-season?

A: I spend my off season training with the team to get ready for the upcoming season.

Q: How has football impacted your life?

A: Football impacted my life in many ways none bigger than giving me the ability to touch people’s lives in the community. Yes, football gave me a free education but being able to give back means the world to me and football allowed me to do that! Football also taught me a lot about leadership, discipline teamwork and about having a good work ethic.

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

A: Well I graduated this past spring which allowed me to start working on my masters. After it’s all said and done I plan on playing in the NFL but if that doesn’t happen I want to work in the FBI.

Q: What does being a Mountaineer mean to you?

A: Being a Mountaineer means a lot to me. Understanding that I represent something way bigger than myself and that these wonderful people of this great state are so involved in my life, I never want to let them down! 

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.