dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

First Date Flops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It seems like the dating world is getting harder and harder, or maybe we just all believe that to be true.  But what are the worst mistakes made to make the Worst First Date EVER?

1. Staying On Your Phone The Entire Time.  Ugh! What a boring date.  Who wants to sit there and just watch you text your bros or gal pals or even watch you make those ugly snapchat faces.. obviously you aren’t going on a second date.. buhh-bye.

2. Never, I repeat, NEVER order the spaghetti.  Just think about how you eat spaghetti, in my opinion it’s physically impossible to eat saucey, stringy food without slopping in on your shirt or slurping it up into your mouth.. talk about grossing the person across from you out, especially if they barely know you.

3. Don’t go somewhere too fancy. No one wants to think your taking them to a Mexican restaurant and bowling and end up at a 5 star restaurant on the top floor of the nicest hotel in the city that overlooks the skyline.  Sure it sounds awesome but if you’re going to go somewhere fancy save it for a date where you know another one will follow AND make sure your date knows so they can be dressed to impress not miserably, and awkwardly I might add, underdressed.

4. Oh.. and please.. for the sake of your social life, never talk about having a future with someone on a first date.  Not even being their girlfriend/boyfriend. Don’t do it.. it makes everything awkward, and weird. Just don’t do it okay.. promise?

5. Don’t act like this first date means you’ll be together forever.  Please do not discuss your dream of having a child with us or even where you wish to go on your honeymoon.  That’s quite a turn off if you ask me.

6. Don’t get jealous.  So what if your best friend is a guy?  It’s a first date and odds are if you are even on this date in the first place you aren’t considered about dating the boy labeled in your phone with some type of nickname. Being too clingy on a first date? Come on there’s no way we’re giving you another chance.

If you have to belch or feel like any other gross bodily functions are going to occur please excuse yourself from the presence of your date, go to the bathroom and stay there until all feeling of grossness and all evidence of said function is passed.

7. And make sure to relax.  Being too uptight or nervous will only hurt you.  Girls and guys want to be around you when you are being yourself, why else would they have asked you on a date?

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.