Bare-necessities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The semester is coming to an end in only a little over a month. Spring break is over and done with, so what more does the collegiette™ have to look forward to? Summer!

After finals week, we may look forward to being study-free and relaxing on the beach in where ever the heck we want. With that being said, and bikini season around the corner, us girls may have some other things to consider. Perhaps you may be wondering where you’ll be spending your summer months or where you’ll be purchasing your new bikinis. Some girls, however, growing older and wiser, may be asking themselves… “To wax or not to wax?”

As a recent victim of the self-inflicted pain due to my risque curiosity, I must say… the juice IS worth the squeeze. Let’s face it, there isn’t a single girl out there who doesn’t mind having any “untrimmed” business open for the public to see in broad daylight. So why not deal with it in a manner where you won’t have to deal with it again for another 3-6 weeks?

Painful? Yes, but only for a minute. However, the more you do it the easier it becomes. The upside to waxing is you won’t have to maintain yourself as much, no more worrying about razor burn/bumps, and you’re as smooth as a baby’s butt!

Here are some pointers to consider if you actually go through with doing the deed that can help make it a less painful procedure:

· Take an aspirin or ibuprofen about a half hour before you decide to get-a-tuggin. They also now make soothing sprays and lotions that you can apply onto your skin as well as skin-numbing topical creams.

· Get a wax in the mid afternoon to early evening. Your pain threshold is at it’s highest point during this time of day, so what would have killed you at 9 a.m. will not hurt as bad between 3-5 p.m.

· Don’t make an appointment right before your cycle. Your skin is this region becomes a lot more sensitive than usual about 3 days before your due for a visit from Aunt Flo. Avoid getting waxed right before and during completely!

· Avoid tight-fitting clothing! Tight clothing like leggings or tight jeans can rub against you causing irritation. It can also increase the chances of ingrown hairs.

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.