Advice That Your Parents Gave You That You Wish You Took

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1. Don’t fall in love too quickly

It’s easy to feel happiness and not be able to imagine life without someone who walked into yours for an extended period of time. It’s also hard to believe that your first true love isn’t your lifelong love. My mom always told me to be careful, don’t wear my heart on my sleeve or I’ll get hurt and just like most teenage girls, I got hurt time and time again because of falling in love with the idea of someone over the actual being. Don’t make that mistake. 

2. Study for all of your exams

When applying to colleges a lot of people have a very limited list of schools that they are able to apply to and will definitely get in to. If only we listened when our dad told us to get upstairs and study for our math test tomorrow morning. Instead, back in the day, we watched Jersey Shore (I wouldn’t have survived if I didn’t see what happened with Ron and Sammi every week). 

3. Don’t trust all of your friends

“Your parents notice your fake friends before you do.” One of the most accurate quotes to date. I’ve never had a friend that my parents didn’t like that ended up being a true friend. It’s hard to let go of a friendship just because of someone’s opinion but be cautious because more than likely, that girl is going to end up being your enemy.

4. Chase your dreams, not money

Subconsciously, most people tend to direct their area of interest to the job or major that can promise them the most amount of money. Of course, this is understandable because who doesn’t love money but a lot of people start college in a major that makes them miserable. Once they get over the idea of making millions, they follow their heart and do exactly what it is that makes them want to wake up in the morning and learn more about it.

5. Treat others the way you want to be treated

Think long and hard every time you decide to give someone attitude at work or not hold the door open for someone because when it gets done to you, you’ll wonder what you did to deserve that kind of treatment and on top of that, you’ll wonder who raised them. Always be respectful, good karma is a thing. 

6. Don’t wear that

I can’t express how many times I walked down the stairs to go to school or to my friends house and my mom said, “that is not flattering, you should go change.” Looking back on my old pictures, she was right, that was not flattering and I should have changed. 

7. Save your money

It’s so easy to get lost in your favorite store (Free People) and drop hundreds without even noticing. Think about your future, think about the important things and save that money. It gets irritating when you’re texting your parents every weekend asking for $20 for groceries. If you didn’t buy those super cute shorts maybe you could’ve afforded some eggs and cheese. 

8. Get along with your siblings, you’ll need them when you’re older

It’s hard to get along with three younger boys who like to destroy everything and punch everyone they see. When you get past the tough boy physique they put on, it’s easier to realize that they would do just about anything for you no matter the price they might have to pay. Love them now because if you don’t it’ll just be harder to when you’re all grown up with children of your own who will ask, “why aren’t you and your brothers close.” You don’t want that.

9. Always apologize if you’re wrong, and mean it

If you make a mistake, fix it. It’s as simple as that. You know how it feels when someone does something horrific to you and can’t find it in their hearts to apologize. Don’t make someone feel the way you feel when you can’t get an apology. Even if you don’t feel like you owe anyone anything, make it right anyway!

10. Whatever you post is permanent

While applying to jobs and grad school you’ll constantly think, will that picture I took on frat row freshman year with alcohol in my hand and a short dress be the reason I don’t get it. The truth is, it might be. It’s important to watch what you post because once you press share, it’s out there and you don’t know who might see it.

11. Spend less time on your phone

Not only does this cause social issues but come on, aren’t your hands and eyes killing you. All day we’re typing and staring at a screen when we could be doing activities that might actually benefit us or talking to someone face to face. After all these years though, it’s what we’re accustomed to. 

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!