This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With the new year comes new responsibilities.  Here’s a little advice to help you save heartache, stress, and for you to have the best year yet.

1. You cannot agree with everyone

There will be times when you work with someone you just cannot stand.  Everything they do seems to strike a nerve.  Personalities clash and that’s okay too.  Do what you have to do, finish the job and one day you won’t have to be around them anymore.

2. Sometimes you just have to say no

Life is always busy.  There is always an exam to study for, a shift that needs covered, or an opportunity that can’t be passed up.  It is possible to take on too much, so to stay sane say no when you can’t handle another weight on your shoulder.  More opportunities will come.

3. Put yourself out there every once in a while

4. Be proud of who you are

Even if it doesn’t seem like much, you have something to offer that no one else does.  Go out there and kill it.

5. If you aren’t in a relationship- it’s okay

The holiday season is over and you finally survived the pesky “are you dating?” question.  You’ve sat through all the hopeless romantic movies and are probably feeling that you will be alone forever.  I’m here to tell you to relax.  There will be countless opportunities for you to fall in love and it will take a few tries before you find “the one.”  For now, enjoy being single.  Hang out with your friends, spend time alone, and do the things you like.  Once you get into a real relationship, all of that changes.

6. Leave the toxic people behind

There are better people out there. 

7. Unwind and enjoy the year

Stay positive, it’s gonna be great!

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!