jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Ways To Make It Through A Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

We don’t choose the people we love, it just happens. Love is an indescribable feeling and everyone deserves to love and be loved. Long distance relationships obviously aren’t the most ideal but you can’t just close your eyes and tell yourself you don’t love someone. No one will want you to do it, your family, your friends, no one. You just have to love them double the amount you did before. Nobody said it would be easy, but distance makes the heart grow fonder.

1.  Give each other your class schedules. Make sure he knows that at 11:15 you’ll be hiking back to your apartment and would absolutely love to have someone to talk to on the phone.

2.  Make him ‘open when’ letters. Guys are guys, he will obviously see other girls while he’s out at the bar and he may find them extremely attractive because that’s not against the rules, right? Write him a ton of letters for him to read when he’s missing you such as ‘open when you miss me’ or ‘open when you feel like the distance is too hard.’ Reading what you have to say will reassure him that this relationship is exactly what he wants.

3.  Before you leave for school plan a couple trips to see each other and get the countdown app, you’ll love to wake up and see there’s only 17 more days until you get to see your favorite person.

4.  Make each other promises. Promise each other that you will love each other unconditionally, no matter what gets in the way.

5.  Set some ground rules. You both should be treating each other the same. It’s not fair that he can go to date parties with girls but you can’t go with any guys. Make sure you’re both on the same page or it won’t be pretty.

6.  Try to do things together. Force him to start Grey’s Anatomy because who doesn’t love Grey’s and then talk about how badly you want the relationship that Derek and Meredith have. Or stay in one night and watch the same movie.

7.  Be honest with each other. Don’t hide anything from him because sooner or later, he will find out and things will be worse when he finds out how long you have been lying for.

8.  Pick a time every week that you can FaceTime or video chat together. Seeing his face, looking into his eyes, hearing his voice will remind you why you started this in the first place.

9.  Make sure you know exactly what you want and you know exactly what he wants. You don’t want to waste a year on someone who finds things that are more important than you.

Whatever you do, don’t turn into the crazy girlfriend 6 hours away that all his friends hate. He loves you or he wouldn’t be in this relationship. So love him back and make the best of it because if you can get through these 4 years apart, you can get through anything and if it doesn’t work out don’t beat yourself up over it, put yourself back out there!

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.