9 Realistic v. Unrealistic New Years Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Every year each and every one of us waits for January 1st to change our lifestyles, reinvent ourselves or simply make a difference. However, most of these New Years resolutions seem to always have one thing in common, no one actually completes them. It’s easy to make fun of one’s resolution because of how far fetched it may be. So this year come up with something that no one can make fun of and you can easily accomplish, you can go for the more difficult resolution next year!

1. Go to the gym every day for an hour VS. start by going to the gym twice a week for 30 minutes and by the end of the year work your way up to 6 days a week for an hour.

For a newbie it’s nearly impossible to start working out at 7 days a week, nor is it healthy! It’s best to work out 6 days a week and give yourself one day of resting. If you can work your way up to 6 days a week by the end of the year that’s much more realistic than starting there!

2. Get straight A’s this semester VS. take one day a week and dedicate it strictly to studying and homework in order to aim for all A’s and B’s.

Everyone knows when you say you’re trying to get straight A’s you’re not going to get them. Start off small and be happy with a B!

3. Stop drinking VS. go out one night per weekend sober

It won’t be fun, especially when all your friends are wasted. What will be fun though is watching all the foolish things they do and telling them all about it the next morning when they can’t remember where the bruise on their knee came from.

4. Completely cut out junk food VS. cut down eating of junk food to once per week

If you can honestly cut out junk food completely, I envy you but I know that I would miss my white cheddar cheezits way too much to say goodbye forever. The easiest way to get the best of both worlds is to have a snack once per week and follow the serving size on the box.

5. Dress nicely every time you leave the house or apartment (ex: class) VS. give yourself one week a month that you can dress like a bum

It’s so easy to throw on a pair of sweatpants, slippers and a sweatshirt for your 8 am lecture but if you’re on the hunt for your future boyfriend, you won’t find him dressed like that. Do your best to at least put on a pair of leggings, a nice sweater and your hair somewhat done. 

6. Complete your bucket list VS. be able to check 3 things off your bucket list by the end of the year

Some people have bucket lists a mile long and some of those things are better to not be rushed (ones that include a spouse that you just don’t have yet). Pick 3 realistic ones and get them done, you have 12 months to do it!

7. Travel to different places throughout the year VS. plan one trip with friends to a place you’ve never been to before

It’s just not possible, you have school and a life that you can’t just pick up and leave every time you think of an awesome place to travel to. However, you have winter break, spring break and summer break to plan a trip with your best friends to somewhere none of you have ever been to before.

8. Be less stressed this year VS. take a few relaxation days per month to keep yourself stress free

It’s important to keep yourself stress free and you will see how much happier you’ll be. Take a day for the beach, take a day off from work, or take a day just to catch up on sleep. Whatever it is that relaxes you, DO IT!

9.Save (a certain amount of) money by the end of the year VS. create a grown up piggy bank and whenever you have left over change or a little extra cash, throw it in

If you tell yourself to save $1,000 by the end of the year, you won’t. Don’t set a limit on what you should save. Just tell yourself to save and at the end of the year be happy with whatever you find in that little piggy bank of yours.

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.