12 DIY Halloween Costumes That You Haven’t Already Thought About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

For college girls across the county, Halloween is a fun-filled, weekend-long affair. Our goal is to have the hottest costume at the party, while standing out from the endless sea of black cats, witches and Playboy bunnies. This article lists 12 DIY costumes that are super cute and definitely different from most typical costume choices. All of these can be made with items out of your closet and inexpensive supplies from your local craft store or fabric shop.

#1. Kim Possible

“Call me, beep me, if you wanna reach me!” (Admit it, you sang that in your head while you read it). If you’re a millennial girl, you probably wanted to be Kim Possible at some point in your childhood and this costume is a great way to pay homage to the Disney Channel Heroine. Items needed: long sleeve black top, army green pants, black shoes, brown belt and black gloves.

Image source: Tumblr user Here For Debby Ryan

#2. Frat Boy

For all you sorority ladies out there, this costume is a fun tribute to the boys who help make our college days so much fun. Just ask one of your fraternity friends to borrow a button-down and a Polo hat. Pair with spandex shorts underneath and wear boat shoes. Simplest, and comfiest, costume ever.

Image source: Pinterest user Kristi Tryon

#3. Gumball Machine

Learning how to blow a bubble is much harder than making this adorable costume! Just get a red body con dress and use hot glue to attach colorful puffballs to the upper half. Then, draw the money slot onto a silver square of felt with a black marker and hot-glue the felt onto the lower half of the dress. Voila! Finished.

Image source: lifeunsweetened.com

#4. Beanie Baby

90s babies will remember these adorable, bean stuffed little critters (and the painstaking care it took not to rip that precious red tag, in the hopes of these someday becoming valuable). Put a spin on the typical cat or bunny costume and pair a black or patterned dress and animal ears with a giant version of the “ty” tag. To make the tag, just cut a giant heart out of red construction paper and paint the Beanie Baby logo on it. Attach it to your dress with tape, hot glue, or a safety pin.

Image source: brit.co

#5. Britney Spears 

To recreate Britney’s iconic look from her ‘Baby One More Time’ music video, all you need are a couple of pieces that you most likely have in your closet. All you need is a black bra/bustier/bandeau, a white button down shirt, a grey cardigan, a black skater skirt, knee-high socks and black heels. Complete the costume by styling your hair in braided pig tails tied off with pink ribbons.

Image source: Pinterest user Fairyangel

#6. Scarecrow

This sweet and simple scarecrow costume can be made with staples from any girls’ fall wardrobe. Just wear a flannel shirt, jeans, brown boots, and a brown, floppy hat. Then, use face paint to apply a cute scarecrow smile. Click here to watch a tutorial for easy scarecrow makeup!

Image source: Instagram user mjmcgrath

#7. Mummy 

This is a great costume for girls who want to look a little spooky, but still sexy, for Halloween. All you need is a white body con dress and strips of cheap, white fabric. Simply cut the fabric into long strips and hot glue long streams onto the bottom hem of the dress. Then wind other pieces around the torso and arms, hot gluing the edges to keep them secure. Finally, wrap a long piece around your head as a head band. Pair with white or silver heels.

Image source: Pinterest user Mr. Costumes

#8. Box of Wine. 

This is an adorable costume for college ladies who love boxed wine. All you need is a body con dress in the color of your favorite flavor and some plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic around the bottom half of your dress, like a skirt, and secure with tape to look like the “bag” of wine. Then, just print a Franzia label off the internet and tape it to your chest (Or, if we’re being honest, you probably have an empty box lying around your apartment somewhere and can just cut the label off of the box).

Image source: pagebypaige.ca

#9. Piñata 

This costume is absolutely adorable and actually a lot easier to make than you think. All you need is a body con dress, lots of tissue paper, and a hot glue gun. Click here for step-by-step instructions!

Image source: rabbitfoodformybunnyteeth.com

#10. Rosie the Riveter 

Perfect costume for any passionately feminist, empowered young woman. Just pair a blue button down shirt with high wasted shorts or skinny jeans. Then, top it off with a red bandana and red heels. If you want to go all-out, follow this link for an awesome tutorial on the Rosie the Riveter hairstyle.

Image source: chictopia.com

#11. Starbucks Drink 

For all of you “basic” girls out there, this Starbucks costume is a super fun, simple and adorable way to pay respect to your favorite coffee shop. Print off the Starbucks logo and attach it to the front of a cheap body con dress. Then, using a black marker, draw the Starbucks order boxes on the back of the dress and fill in the boxes with your favorite drink order. Just make sure to put pieces of cardboard or thick newspaper in between the dress so that the marker doesn’t bleed through!

Image source: Pinterest user Julia Sullivan

#12. Shooting Star

The key to pulling this costume off is the hair and makeup. First, construct a star headband by cutting stars out of cardstock and hot gluing them onto a plastic headband. Then, apply liberal amounts of glitter makeup and shimmery, metallic eyeshadow to the face and use spray glitter on the body. To finish, wear a flowing, gauzy dress in gold, silver or white. A metallic body con dress would look good as well.

Image source: Pinterest user Christina Ronnberg, babble.com

My name is Alison, I'm 21 years old and currently a junior at West Virginia University. I'm pursuing a degree in Television Journalism with a minor in English. In my spare time, I enjoy traveling, analyzing films and writing. Some of my favorite things are my sorority (Kappa Kappa Gamma), dogs, Chipotle, NYC, champagne, the Yankees and Netflix. Someday, I hope to be an anchor at Fox News in New York, a travel blogger, or a magazine editor.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.