This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Need to slip out of Morgantown for a day or a weekend? The state of West Virginia has so many interesting places to explore, and here’s just a sample of must-sees.

1. Coopers Rock

Bruceton Mills, WV (20 min)

Are you even a WVU student if you haven’t been to Coopers Rock at least once? Just a twenty minute drive east of Morgantown, the view from Coopers Rock is one of the best that West Virginia has to offer. 

2. Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls

Davis, WV (1hr, 45 min)

Hit up nearby Tucker County to find Canaan Valley, the home of Blackwater Falls. Take some time to visit the Falls, as well as the cute mountain towns of Thomas and Davis. And, if you’re visiting in the winter, the Canaan Valley area offers some excellent skiing!

3. Dolly Sods

Grant/Randolph/Tucker County, WV (2hrs, 20 min)

Up for a serious adventure? Try the Dolly Sods Wilderness. As its name suggests, Dolly Sods is pretty much as far from civilization as you can imagine—get acquainted with the area before you go so you don’t get lost. Be careful of loose boulders as you check out the flagged spruce trees and the vast plateau of one of the more otherworldly parts of West Virginia.

4. Seneca Rocks

Seneca Rocks, WV (2hrs, 20 min)

Not far from Dolly Sods is Seneca Rocks, one of the top rock climbing spots in the country. The peak is only accessible by climbing, but there are plenty of other trails to awesome views for those who aren’t about that climbing life.

5. New River Gorge Bridge

Fayetteville, WV (2hrs, 20 min)

If you only visit one place in West Virginia, this should be it. Spend the money and go on a rafting trip, because there is nothing in the world like coming around a bend in the New River and finally seeing the bridge span above you. If you’re not into rafting, there are plenty of cool hiking trails that’ll give you a view of the bridge you won’t see from driving over it.

6. Green Bank Telescope

Green Bank, WV (2hrs, 45 min)

The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (simply known as the Green Bank Telescope) is definitely one of the biggest surprises WV offers. There are tours offered of the telescope complex but be aware of the rules of the National Radio Quiet Zone before you visit. You legally cannot use a cell phone or Wi-Fi in Green Bank—you might disrupt the telescope!

7. Harpers Ferry, WV (3hrs)

In the Eastern Panhandle is the small town of Harpers Ferry, the site of John Brown’s raid during the Civil War. Harper’s Ferry is the perfect getaway for history buffs, with many historic places to visit. The Appalachian Trail also runs directly through the town, lending to plenty of outdoor adventures.

8. Spruce Knob

Pendleton County, WV (3hrs)

Drive or hike to the top, the choice is yours. The highest point in West Virginia is not to be missed—this is easily the most beautiful place that I have ever visited.

9. Cass, WV (3hrs)

Interested in the history of logging or railroad in West Virginia? Really just interested in riding a cool train? Check out the tiny town of Cass in Pocahontas County. The scenic railroad is the main attraction of this town and showcases some spectacular scenery.

10. The Greenbrier

White Sulphur Springs, WV (3hrs, 20 min)

The furthest attraction from Morgantown on this list is The Greenbrier Hotel—and I have to confess that I haven’t actually been here myself. However, it’s at the top of my West Virginia bucket list. The hotel is famous for its grandeur and golf course, but it’s also home to a declassified Cold War government bunker.

The ten places on this list barely scratch the surface of all of the interesting, quirky, beautiful, and spectacular sites in the state. Take your four years here to not only get to know and love Morgantown but the whole of West Virginia.

WVU '19, Pi Beta Phi. ONE at WVU Campus Leader. Adventure is out there.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!