This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

The soft breeze, clear skies, and light sun rays are sure signs of spring coming into full bloom. Time to say goodbye to our winter attire and hello to our spring pieces! 

First things first, though: clean out the old to make room for the new. That’s right — spring cleaning, something that can soothe the soul by clearing out anything that needs to be rid of in order to allow everything new to fit in its place. 

Often many of us are at a loss for where to start when standing in front of our closet. Much like when we don’t know what to wear some days, we may not know what to toss right away. To make things easier for everyone we’ve compiled some tips for our fellow collegiettes to have an idea of what to clean out. 

1. Anything worn, torn, stained, or washed out. 
  2. Something that you wouldn’t buy again if you saw it in a store. 
  3. Uncomfortable clothing that you bought just to try. 
  4. Pieces that don’t fit just right anymore. 

Once you look over your wardrobe and start picking and choosing, you’ll be flying through your cleaning in no time. By the end of it, you should have a nice little or large pile left at your feet. What you do with this pile is up to you, but we’ve provided some ideas as well. 

1. Donate to a local thrift store or Red Cross. 
  2. Bring to local donation bins to be distributed to people in need of clothes. 
  3. Hand them down to family members to use in their own wardrobe. 
  4. Revamp some pieces that you are still going back and forth with by adding studs, cutting it into different tops/bottoms, or redying them. 

Now when it comes to purchasing new additions to your spring wardrobe, it’s better to start with basics first. Let stripes, prints, and bold colors be the main trends you’re looking for, especially since they are popular for this spring. Happy shopping, collegiettes!

You also can use these keeping and tossing tips to clean out your shoes, outerwear, and even jewelry. So good luck with your spring cleaning, collegiettes! I hope you have fun spring cleaning your closet and even more fun adding new pieces to your wardrobe.

Photo credit to pinterest.com and weheartit.com.

A senior at William Paterson University with a English Literature major and minor in Fine Art. Victoria believes there is no limit to what you can do in life just as long as you stay positive, motivated and are happy doing so. Her creativity shines through many outlets from her lifestyle blog, articles on Her Campus and being a Beauty Director and Style Columnist at Cliché Magazine. Her success in the digital magazine and blogging world earned her the Best DIY Blogs in March 2014. Anything chocolate flavored, elephant related, and Stephen King distinguished are her absolute favorites. 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"