My Prom Date was Insecurity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Prom 2014. That was three years ago, and at the time, I wasn’t interested. I was single. I was insecure. I didn’t want to go to prom, but my mom wasn’t going to let me miss this once in a lifetime opportunity. Thanks Mom!

Looking back, I realize that I definitely had some serious self-confidence issues. My high school years were definitely my larvae years in my metamorphosis. I am still transforming into a beautiful butterfly.

Leading up to prom, I was not excited to go. I thought I knew everything about it because I had watched so many typical high school dramas. However, nothing prepared me for prom weekend.  First, let’s start with the fact that I had food poisoning the night before from eating some undercooked fish (this is why I don’t eat sushi). I spent the night with my head in a toilet bowl. 

Mind you, I had a hair appointment in the morning. Fast forward to 10am, and I’m still suffering from the effects of emptying out my stomach. I mustered the strength to get out of bed and drink water for breakfast. Then, I rushed to the hair salon. I ended up sitting in that chair for hours as they combed out my afro, dyed it and styled it. It was an emotionally draining experience that I have repressed in the back of my mind. I arrived at that place at 11am and didn’t leave until 4:30pm. Prom started at 6pm. I wasn’t dressed. I had to cancel my makeup appointment because my hair took so long, and I was hangry! 

As soon as I got home, I struggled to get in my dress, did my makeup and added some bling to make my dress pop! I rushed down the stairs and almost gave myself a concussion in the process because my dress was way too long for my 5’1 frame. I strutted outside to see my family greeting me with smiles and camera flashes. I felt like a star. Everyone wanted a pic with me. I felt like a celebrity. Fast forward to the meeting place with my friends, I got there at 6 pm. Everyone looked FABULOUS! I mean everyone showed up and showed out!!! In that moment, my self-confidence had plummeted because I was in the presence of kings and queens.

I honestly believed that I wasn’t as gorgeous as everyone else. Thoughts of not being pretty enough to have a date and comparing myself to my friends entered my mind, but when everyone saw me, the compliments flowed.

I felt like Cinderella in that moment. For that one night, I actually felt beautiful. I was surrounded by beautiful girls. It was so magical.  After taking pics and exchanging compliments, we arrived at prom fashionably late! But it’s all good because we looked good, ya feel me!

Throughout the night, I took pics, danced with my friends, cracked jokes and had the time of my life. I dumped insecurity at the door and embraced the warmness of confidence. Not once did I worry about not having a date or how I looked, and I’m glad I didn’t. Prom 2014 was the birth of a journey to self-confidence and acceptance. I’m truly grateful for the friends I had and the night we shared. I wouldn’t trade my prom experience for anything!

Hey! How ya doing? The name's Brianna but I prefer to be called Bri. I'm a junior at William Paterson University. Treasurer and Staff Writer of Her Campus.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"