Michael Ortiz ’14: Radio Aficionado

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Michael Ortiz

Year: 2014

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Fun Fact: I’m very good at pretending to pay attention.

Activities Involved In At WPUNJ: The Boss at Brave New Radio. (The picture below shows Michael with BNR guest, Alus!)

HC: How has working at Brave New Radio affected your college experience?

MO: I got to meet and hang out with a bunch of weird radio people, and now I guess I’m considered one of those weird radio people? But, I mean… I get to meet cool celebrities.

HC: Who was your favorite guest to have at Brave New Radio?

MO: I don’t think I have a personal favorite; every artist has been an amazing experience. But as a guy, who doesn’t like eye-candy while on the job? So I’ll go with Jessenia Vice and Alus (shown with Michael in the picture above).

HC:As a senior with graduation coming up, do you have any successors lined up to take over your spot?

MO: In this industry, you tend to get pretty far based on your looks and, I guess, experience. So my successor will be a former “Her Campus Cutie” — Sebastian Escobar ( – pause…)

HC: What are your post-WPUNJ plans? Do you plan on continuing working in the radio business?

MO: Music is my life. I couldn’t see myself doing anything else, so I guess you can say yes! I’ve always wanted to move out to California because of the weather and girls, but my recent obsession with Miley Cyrus just sealed the deal (one way ticket this summer) — oh, and this sweet girl named Mary, too.

HC: If you could change anything about your experience with the school radio station what would it be?

MO: I don’t think I would want to change anything. I actually wish I came to William Paterson since freshman year because going to Kean was a bust (felt like I was in a hip-hop music video all the time).

HC: On what station can we find Brave New Radio?

MO: You can find us on GoBrave.org or 88.7fm – or on my phone with the Tune-In app… but that requires unlocking it (hint: the pass code is 0000 but you’ve also got to leave your phone number…)

I'm a really cool dancer.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"