How to Survive Rock Concerts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

It’s finally Friday night.  You’ve been staring at your ticket to the sold out Foo Fighters concert that’s been sitting on your mirror for months.  And if you’re anything like me, you’ve had more than one fan-girl moment on the way to the concert with your best friend.

As you wait in line to go inside, here are some Dos and Don’ts to ensure a rockin’ and rollin’ night.

DO dress casually and comfortably. 

Wear shorts or jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers.  Do not wear heels, long chains or necklaces, layers, or your Sunday best.  You’re going to a concert, not on a date!  I’ve witnessed enough nasty spills by girls in heels and a skirt, and trust me, you do not want to be that girl.  Not only will you never live it down, but when you’re walking into school on Monday morning on crutches, it won’t make for a cool story.

DON’T wear the t-shirt of the band you’re going to see. 

This is the oldest rule in the book.  You will be the designated “newb” of the concert, and no one wants to be that person.  Been there, done that.

DO wear sneakers.

Sneakers cannot be stressed enough!  They are solid, comfortable, and will save your feet from destruction.  Plus, heels, flip-flops, or sandals may tempt “veteran” concertgoers to step on your feet to see if you fall. 

DON’T use a long purse or bag. 

While in a crowd, not only are you more liable to annoy the people around you with the bulkiness of a bag, but also you’ll also find how much unnecessary extra weight you’re carrying around.  Instead, bring the absolute minimum with you:  phone, keys, and money.  Keep these items hidden in your front pockets (zipper pockets are preferable) or in a tank top.  Check often to make sure you didn’t lose anything in the crowd.

DO look out for your friend(s). 

If you and your friend(s) are separated during the show, designate a time and place to meet up.

DON’T be pushy. 

Yes everyone wants to make it to the front of the crowd to see just how hard Dave Grohl really rocks, but stay mindful of the limited space.  This is an easy way to create tensions between you and other concertgoers.  If you can’t see the stage, are sandwiched between two oversized men, or are that desperate to get to the front, then get to the show at least three to four hours before doors open.  That way you’re not stepping on any toes—literally.  

And remember, if find yourself stuck in the middle of a mosh pit you have two options:  rock hard, or duck out.  If you want to stay in the middle of the chaos, make sure to stand your ground.  Jump around wildly and just have fun with it.  If you’re small like me and want out, duck your head down and gracefully bow out.  If that doesn’t work, start threatening you may or may not vomit.  (This theory has been tested and approved by yours truly.)

But most importantly, just enjoy yourself.  Concerts can be chaotic and crowded, but remember, have fun and enjoy the live music.  Being one of hundreds showing appreciation to the band making the music you love is a sure way to have a rockin’ night. 

Editor-in-Chief of WPUNJ's Pioneer Times. Enthusiast of all things Converse, Batman and Sylvia Plath. 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"